The official 65g FOWLR diary thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Well, yesterday after someone on RC mentioned that my rockwork was a little "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz", which I admit it was, I spent an hour rearranging things. The rocks look nicer but... now there's a hole over on the right hand side. Not to worry, lol, I'll pick up some more rock at work tomorrow to fill it in. My husband took a look at it and said it looks 'like it just happened' (which I take to mean it looks natural), as opposed to some of the tanks I showed him online that I like that he says look manmade. Once it's finished I'll post pics.

Levels are good in the tank, NH3, NO2 and NO3 are all 0. There's Caulerpa in the tank, and some macro growing out of the rocks, which is probably responsible for the NO3 staying at 0.

I moved the maroon from the 30g reef into the 65g - I know it's soon, but the angel has a wound and the maroon was picking on him. He was destined for this tank eventually, and I figured since the levels are fine and he's just a little guy he'll be okay - I can't see a 1.5" fish causing too much of a spike in 65g of water.
He was fun to catch :rolleyes:. He slept in between the AC70's intake tube and the wall of the tank in a space about an inch wide. I waited until he was asleep, then put a fish bag (always have some lying around, I bring them home from work in my back pocket by mistake all the time) into the water and slowly raised it up underneath him. By the time he woke up and realized what was going on, there was nowhere to go but down - into the bag. The first thing he did in the new tank was to go back to the top left corner and mark out a place to hide/sleep - the exact same spot as in the other tank, only now it's behind a PH! :D

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Hey there, Blinky! It's great to see you again. :D

Your tank is looking good. I can't wait to see your updated pics! I love to watch your tanks progress in your posted diaries. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the experiences and information you share, as well as the great pictures!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
You said it not me. The rockwork was a tad zzzzzzzz?!
I been keeping mum. I was thinking it looked like a magnified version of your 30g lol ;) I rearranged mine also so there's alot of holes and a fish can go in one hole and pop out of another. Its alot more fun.
I like your purplish rock. I'm having a hard time growing coralline. HMMM!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
You guys are very sweet :)
SF - NEVER be afraid to tell me how something looks! I can take it, I'd much rather know than not if something looks boring or the same or whatever :D

I brought home MORE rock today, I think I'm finally done. 11lbs, half of which is a big coral skeleton that my husband thinks looks like "...that rock formation out of the Star Trek episode when Captain Kirk battled the Gorn, it was also in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". LOL, he remembers everything and watches some wierd stuff, I have no idea what he's talking about. Basically he says it looks "cool" :D

I also picked up two new 55W 10 000K bulbs and put the second light fixture on the tank so that the algae will have more light and the tank won't look so dull.

The lights are off right now, so I'll post some pics tomorrow night.

ADD --> Here's a link to a picture of those rocks... FWIW, I don't think the rock looks like that but you guys can judge tomorrow :)

Last edited:

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
LMAO That's all I have in my tank, those striated, jagged type rock. Its Fuji rock as far as I know. I saw a show where the divers were using ice picks to hack off pieces or LR and that's what I thought all LR looked like. Then I bought some round polyp rocks to contrast the jagged ones. I never saw Captain Kirk battle the Gorn, but if he says so...:)
I was always wondering where everyone got the round rocks lol.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Okay, I couldn't wait until tonight - unfortunately these are lousy pics, there's a big window opposite the tank so a straight-on shot during the day is nothing but reflection. I stood off to the side, so you can't see the funky channel in the middle but I'll update this thread later with a pic of that.

FTS:

The 'Gorn rock' :D

I'm happier with the design, it's more interesting to look at now. The variation in depth front to back doesn't translate to film, basically the entire structure is shaped like a C (with a little rock sticking out in the middle). I can't wait to get a fish that will use all the nooks and crannies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store