The official 65g FOWLR diary thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Blinky, Of course, it looks fantastic! :clap:

I'm not into Star Trek, but comparing the two pictures, I can see what your husband means when he says they look similar. Your top picture in post #18 has the proper angle to show the similarities better.

Will you be posting more pictures when you get more fish in there?

Again, great job! :thm:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Beeker :D
Of course I'll post more pics, I love to take pictures of the tanks as they progress so I can look back later and see the difference. I was actually looking at the rock, thinking how bare it looked and trying to remember if it was this way with my reef. All I had to do was go back to the start of my 14g (now 30g) diary and, lo and behold, the rocks look just as white as these ones.

Tonight a friend was over looking at the tank and he discovered an oyster on one rock, it's about the size of my thumbprint with a red and white mantle. It's very much alive, I've seen it open and close up.

The Caulerpa looks like it's pearling, which is neat to see. At first I thought it was microbubbles just sticking, but the bubbles are in a similar pattern on every single 'leaf', so I think it's O2 from within.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I think if I were to do another s/w, I'd try building pvc shelves to get a more interesting rock arrangement. Artfully stacking is hard to do without it all tumbling. It does looks better now, I like the swim through spots.

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Good Job Blinky! I think your rock looks great. It looks quite similar to mine. I also have a diary thread with lots of pictures. Click Here to check it out. Ive done some similar things to you and our rock looks much alike. I have some from Fiji Islands as well. Unfortunately since I'm in Canada I haven't found an online company that will ship live rock to me (will not pass import inspection at the border) so I had to buy it all from the LFS (Big Al's in Mississauga) at $8/pound! :(

Acutally Im just editing this thread now because I just realized you are from Toronto, Canada. I am from the Brampton area! :)

The tank looks great, keep it up! Visit my diary thread when you get a chance!

-Dave

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Just read through your thread, very nice. I'd love a 90g, great size - you'll have fun stocking it :)
Diary threads are great for everyone - we get to go back and see how things have changed, and everyone else gets to come along for the ride and enjoy a new tank :D

Unfortunately Horace the zebra turbo snail died last night. One of the big (and I mean big, his claws are as long as my fingernail) electric blue hermits was pulling his body out of the shell, but I can't tell if it was just snacking on the body or had actually killed the snail. The hermits seem very peaceful both with each other and the other snails, so I'm inclined to believe he died of another cause. We're planning to get another; both my husband and I were quite attached to him.

Not much else to report on the tank tonight. Green dust algae is growing like crazy and I've seen lots of pods, it's doing pretty well :) I'm going to assemble a potential stocking list andl post it later to see what you guys think.

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Blinky... sorry to hear about your turbo snail :(

Hey, since you are from Toronto as well, can I ask what store(s) you mainly purchase your rock, livestock and accessories at? Im in search for a better store than my regular visits to Big Al's Aquarium Services in Mississauga.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Looking awsome Blinky. I love the rock, especially the skeleton rock!!

Im thinking of going 70lbs deepwater tonga for my 72. Any idea how this rock looks when stacked together?? It's supposed to have 5 different coraline colours, and be great for cave making. It also has some wild shapes.

5.69 canadian per pound at JLaquatics!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
senos said:
Blinky... sorry to hear about your turbo snail :(

Hey, since you are from Toronto as well, can I ask what store(s) you mainly purchase your rock, livestock and accessories at? Im in search for a better store than my regular visits to Big Al's Aquarium Services in Mississauga.
If you willing to drive to Brampton, theirs a great guy on steeles avenue and torbram. The place is called Aquarium Deopt, and he has tons of corals, rock, and fish!! Way more then Big als. The guy also knows alot, as he works with the marine departement at Guelph uiniversity. He also does custom tanks, custom sumps, in wall tanks, tank drilling, etc. Even makes his own skimmers far more effecient the any on the market in the $2000 plus range made for tanks anywhere from 300-2000 gallons. Amazing guy, with tons of knowledge!!

Their also another great place in Missisauga. He also has a great selection, but ive never been there. I'll get you the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store