The Sorority Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
I was thinking about starting a sorority with my new tank, but I was out off at the fact that knowing my luck, I'd get a shy,angry and ill one :( and the tank would fall to peices!
lovely tank!

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
(sorry for the double post)
I was looking at my cycling tank, and something caught my eye. I looked over, and holy crap, there's metal poking out of the silk ivy stem! *headesk* I've had these in an aquarium before, and everthing's been fine. I can't believe I missed that they had metal in them! I looked over them a lot of times before I used them in the first tank, and was postive it was just plastic. Good gosh, what if they were the cause of my first betta fish dying? Argh >.< They haven't rusted yet, so I'm guessing it's stainless steel but I should take them out.

But, if I take them out, I can kiss the cover and suitability as a sorority good bye, which is bad because I'm adopting four girls really soon! So, should I take them out? If yes, then what should I do about getting more cover in the tank? I'm pretty much broke, so more live plants or even different silk plants are not an option. :(

jeninok

AC Members
Sep 3, 2008
Could you cover the exposed metal with gobs of hot glue until you are able to find something else to put in?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
take it out, theres TONS of plants out there you could use...

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
User-name: I will, but the girls are being shipped out Monday and will probably be here by tuesday or wednesday at the latest. The issue is I'm close to broke (spent it all setting the tank up perfectly) -though the ivy was technically free. I have no more live plants to stick in there (unless they all magically grow enough to be cut and planted), and the silk plants I was considering putting in there didn't make the cut, considering they leaked color into their buckets of water they were soaking in.

I'm going to try and wheedle some aquarium sealant from some people so I can seal up the metal exposed, but that probably won't go down well (and I've got my pride :p).

I need a quick and effective solution to all that empty space.

Jeninok: Would hot glue work? I remember there was a person who used it to make a stone bridge, and after a few hours the bridge collapsed because the glue dissolved in her aquarium and almost hurt her betta... though what about super glue? I've heard some people have used superglue to patch up shells of their snails at times

EDIT: also, I've had some of those pieces in my other tank, and that never had any issues with the params apart from one time when the ph swung, but that was probably because of the water company. This tank has yet to have any param issues. Ph is typical - 6.6-6.8, and it's cycling. ----- Not sure how relevant that is, but I'm halfway hoping I can just find a fix, patch up the ivy, and toss it back in.

Last edited:

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Okay, more news:

I'm going to go to petsmart tomorrow to pick up some aquarium sealant now that I've borrowed some money from my sister... I might just come home with a new betta boy if I'm not careful XD

The girls will probably be shipped out late next week or early the week after that. The person will also be packing in a few plastic plants just in case as well as some of their food so I can keep feeding them quality food to help their health improve and so I can slowly switch them over to what I have :)

Reeyia

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
How about pulling an unused eraser off a pencil and sticking that on the metal? Never tried it myself but as a temporary fix it might work. An eraser is just rubber sooo....

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Update:

A few days ago I decided not to check on the aquarium for several days (a watched pot never cycles... er boils XD). So, today I broke down and decided visit it and take a look. The plants have grown so much. Wisteria has grown about an inch and is sprouting even more new leaves. The aponogeton bulbs have several new leaves that are at the top of the water and I think it might be growing a flower bulb thingie?! The java ferns has two itty bitty little leaves growing from the rhizomes and some green stumps forming. The water lettuce has multiplied, I'm going to have to go toss some back into the pond at the business before it starts blocking the light.

Water params:

ammonia: pretty close to zero, quite possibly a teeeeeny bit over 0
Nitrite: 0
nitrate: a tiny bit over 0, but not quite 5.0

.... I think the tank lost its cycle :p .I forgot to replace the baggie of fish food with new fish food, so when I went to remove it, it was full of fungus and stunk to the high heavens... but on the bright side my plants look happy :)
----

I'm going to do a water change (the tank stinks like you wouldn't believe), seal up the silk ivy with the aquarium sealant I just bought, toss another fish food bag in, and probably wait until the day before the girls are supposed to get here to remove the baggie, do a water change, and add the fixed plants. :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store