Thinking of starting my own aquarium maintenence gig...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Issues such as leaking tanks, fish dying etc. can be taken care of with a very simple contract. Unless it can proved that it is your fault eg:breaking the tank during maintenance, you cannot be held liable. Of course I don't think looking after a tank in attorneys office is a good idea unless you have a very good attorney yourself...lol

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
I think some of you are making too big a deal of this. He's not looking to maintain the stock at Sea World, he's talking about cleaning up a few of his neighbors' tanks, or a few at some offices. Just give some simple information up front about your obligations and their obligations, who is responsible for what, etc. I don't think it would be nearly as difficult as some of you are making it out to be. Just stay honest and be careful and you should be fine! Best of luck Daniel!
This is my flyer so far. At first I am only going to do it in the neighborhood, and maybe later I can expand. I will be updating it togive more information.

Dan's Funky Fins

(865)-992-2770

Aquarium Maintenance and Set-Up

Maintenance:

Vacuum gravel thoroughly to remove unsightly debris that can build up over time and harm your fish's health.
25-50% Water change to remove excess ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates which will harm fish. This also replaces oxygen and trace elements needed by fish to maintain optimal health.
Replace mechanical and chemical filter media which keeps the water clean and clear until the next visit.
Keep the filters properly maintained to keep them running at optimal performance for optimal fish health. Will replace any broken or worn out parts as needed at customer's expense.
Remove algae from inside walls and decorations.
Remove any mineral deposits from hard water.
Replace light bulbs as needed at customer's expense.
Check tank for wear and tear and make sure seals are intact.
Polish water to an extreme clarity.
Polish outside glass to keep your glass clean and clear.
Keep your tank beautiful and your fish healthy.

Up to 9 gallons: $10
10-20 gallons: $20
21-30 gallons: $30
31-40 gallons: $40
41-50 gallons: $50
51-60 gallons: $60
61-70 gallons: $70
71-80 gallons: $80
81-90 gallons: $90
91-100 gallons: $100
101+ gallons : $1.50 per gallon

Set-Ups:

Will set up tanks up to 55 gallons.

What you get with your set up:

Tank
Full Hood (flourescent)
Whisper Power Filter
Heater (if needed)
Gravel
Plastic Plants
Decorations
Thermometer
Air Pump with air hose, check valve, and bubble stone (optional)
Stand [choice of wrought iron or wood (different colours may apply to different size tanks, but will try to meet your needs)]
Fish one week from when tank is initially set up. The reason for such a long wait is to make sure that the tank and equipment is working correctly and that water parameters are in the right range for fish. Will try to get fish requested by you

Set up costs depend on tank size and equipment used. I usually charge $2-4 a gallon depending on tank size. This does not include the price of any of the supplies listed above. You will be billed for them.

I am not liable for any damages to the home caused by your aquarium. I will be liable for fish deaths, and will replace any deceased fish as soon as possible. If you have a problem with your aquarium, feel free to call me Monday through Friday 3:30 pm - 9:30 pm due to school hours, Saturday from 7:00 am - 10:00 pm and Sunday from 12:00 pm - 5:30 pm. I will answer all questions possible and if I don't know the answer, I will be sure to find it for you. Freshwater Only!

What do you think? I still have to add the finishing touches.

Daniel

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
....I will be liable for fish deaths, and will replace any deceased fish as soon as possible.....

I can see limiting this to a certain period after initial stocking. This could get expensive if the fish grow and you have to replace larger sized ones for compatibility issues, especially since you have no control over what they do when you are not there....(overfeed, add other fish not QT'd, add incompatible fish, etc)

Brian Ferriera

AC Members
Jan 2, 2007
....I will be liable for fish deaths, and will replace any deceased fish as soon as possible.....

I can see limiting this to a certain period after initial stocking. This could get expensive if the fish grow and you have to replace larger sized ones for compatibility issues, especially since you have no control over what they do when you are not there....(overfeed, add other fish not QT'd, add incompatible fish, etc)

I will second that. "any fish death" puts an awful lot on your lap fish die and for more reason then not it probably wont be your fault. You will only be their probably 1 or 2 days a month that leave allot of other days open for your customers to do something wrong to the tank. Good job though Its obvious that your series about this. Best of luck to you.
Brian

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
That whole contract idea isn't going to fly. An adult cannot legally enter in a contract with a minor. In short, you are not responsible to hold up your end of the deal unless you want to. That's how it is in any sort of business deal (ie. buying a car or paying your part of rent). Many people have lost their cases in small claims court because of this fact. In your case it works to your advantage; however, if the costumer knows this fact they may say something about it to you, so it is best that you know this.

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
If you do a good job and have happy customers, you can ask them if they mind you using them as references on your resume (and add that your work as an aquarium keeper to your resume as well; you enjoy contact with the public).

If there is some legal difficulty due to your age (but you're almost 18!), you may be able to work out some kind of trade: you give customers a list of what they need, they acquire it (or take you along to the fish/pet store), you do the labor, they pay you with... something you can use later, some service, some product, introductions to people who can be important to you, etc. After age 18, you may have to get some kind of business license [I have zero clues about this... other than I'm sure the IRS will want a cut :( ]

Also, if this hasn't been mentioned, take pictures of your work (at home and at customers' homes) and make an album to show potential customers and/or employers. Append notes to show you're into the scientific side of aquariums as well; I think science impresses :) Maybe if you like to write, you can offer something to a local newspaper...

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
If you do a good job and have happy customers, you can ask them if they mind you using them as references on your resume (and add that your work as an aquarium keeper to your resume as well; you enjoy contact with the public).

If there is some legal difficulty due to your age (but you're almost 18!), you may be able to work out some kind of trade: you give customers a list of what they need, they acquire it (or take you along to the fish/pet store), you do the labor, they pay you with... something you can use later, some service, some product, introductions to people who can be important to you, etc. After age 18, you may have to get some kind of business license [I have zero clues about this... other than I'm sure the IRS will want a cut :( ]

Also, if this hasn't been mentioned, take pictures of your work (at home and at customers' homes) and make an album to show potential customers and/or employers. Append notes to show you're into the scientific side of aquariums as well; I think science impresses :) Maybe if you like to write, you can offer something to a local newspaper...
I can get my business license at 16. It cost $2-5.

I have thought about doing the scientific thing and making an album. Maybe I could let my aquarium get dirty, then show them how clean I can make it? I would just let algae build up and not vacuum for a couple of weeks. Then I can show them pictures of how I redid my own aquariums.

If they want anything specific, I could tell them to let me know and I will try my best to get it.

Daniel

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
I dont think it is a bad idea, but id let the customer stock the tank. I wouldnt touch stocking with a 10 foot algae scraper UNLESS I raised the stock...SO MANY nasty diseases out there.

Speaking of which, you are going to have to maintain RIGOROUS sterilzation techniqes to prevent the spread of disease from tank to tank.

I know you are hyped about this, but I would really get a job working for a maintenance company first. ALOT of experience can be gleened at someone elses expense!

I think the K.I.S.S method is best with this one...Get some real experience then branch out if things are working out.

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
Ok, Boojumsnark25...back into focus on the initial problem.. making money for college. One person mentioned that in your case, it's something like cutting grass for some extra bucks. Since you are not looking to start a business, I like some of the responses such as, start with people you know, in your neighborhood, businesses in your area (offer them a better deal). It is just one good way to make a few extra bucks and more than you'd make working for someone else. The KISS method is a good piece of advice, i.e., you're a guy looking to make money for college and would like to clean aquariums. Make 'em an offer, answer their questions. The worst that could happen is they will say no. Maybe get a few referrals from the LFS and ask if you can post a flyer in their store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store