This is an Expensive hobby...lol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

untoldlegacy

My Rock Can Play Dead!
Mar 28, 2007
Well heres what $430 Cad got me :

Stuff so far:
20 lbs of argonite substrate
27.5lbs of live rock (only 11.5 shown rest is coming
thermo-hydro meter
R/O water
Salt
Sump, plumbing, pump etc. (not shown, hooking it up tomorow)

Stuff i already had:
30G tank
Cascade 300 (for Flow)
100W heater (gonna be replaced soon with 2 50W)
Canopy
Light
Stand

sooooooo now i need the rest of my LR and fish.. lol

i knew that SW was gonna be expensive, but i had no idea it was this bad lol

When my GF found out i payed 200 bucks for 30 lbs of rock im quite sure she was gonna try and kill me in my sleep, untill i reminded her that the rock on her finger cost alot more an weighed alot less ;)

heres summore pics:

This rock cost me 80 bucks (7.8 pounds) from my lfs (fully cured) im going to be using it to seed the other rock i have coming in

this is my equipment running, right now i have a 10X turnover in my tank, once the sump is hooked up itll be more

i have alot more pics but i thought id post these for now

so far this setup has been alot of fun, i just hope it all works out in the end.
im sure ill be asking more questions sooner then later :p
Thanks everyone!
-U.L

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Your certainly off to a great start....When i built my reef, and that was everything built DIY except the sump, it was just over about $1200....So, yes, it does put a void in the wallet...

BUT.........

Its all worth it in the end when you see it mature and bloom...

Keep up the good work mate

Niko

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I'm up to $1500 + in my marine (I kinda stopped keeping track at $1000) after having a 29 up from october 05-january 07 when it was upgraded to a 45 long... And there's nothing fancy and the majority of the equipment was used and sometimes inadequete for a period of time... no sumps either... yeah it's expensive.

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I started keeping track of what I spent but after awhile I stopped because not knowing made my tank look nicer..lol.It is a 135 gallon tank and it costed alot to set it up and I don't think it will ever stop costing me but I do love it. As Niko said ,Its all worth it in the end when you see it mature and bloom..He is soo right

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I spent over 2G's in LR and LS alone!! I am well over 5G's by now. I kinda dont think about spending the cash since I am going to upgrade my Lighting and be getting a skimmer and starting a fuge. That is another $1000+ I would not give it up though since I LOVE just staring at it (we put out dinning table next to it. They watch while we eat. I love just staring at my mini world that I created after a long days work. Really Relaxing. I cant wait to start my Pred Tank!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
lol. tell me about it. your setup is coming along nicely though

I have 30 G tank and I've spent over 900 bucks on it. I love it though. its worth it.

untoldlegacy

My Rock Can Play Dead!
Mar 28, 2007
thanks for the comments guys :) im already loving this tank, i just like to sit and watch my one tiny feather duster for hours on end :p the rest of my LR comes in next week, so ill post more pics then!

as for the money, im in too deep to quit now (or thats what i keep telling my girlfriend)

Thanks all!

-U.L

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Yep I have over a grand (USD) into my 10 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store