This is an Expensive hobby...lol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

THEJRC

Third String Messiah?
Even with all the hand me downs, free stuff, traded stuff.... I've spent waay too much. I started using Reefcon pro to track tanks and it has a nifty little expense tracker and report so for a few weeks there I was religious about entering costs..... after looking at the pie chart that told me I spent waaay too much on equipment and live rock, and seeing the total I spent on just one of the tanks.... I stopped logging

Better I dont know, it's normal to feel a touch of spending depression as your leaving the store but that goes away when you set up whatever you picked up.... if I have to log it the depression comes back... and lets face it, I've got other things to get depressed about!

For what you spent, given that you've got sump and pump and more LR coming, you did good! and the tank looks great (it'll look even better with more LR). Once you start plopping corals in it's gonna be worth it!

craglord

AC Members
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff UK
Well... I am a poor medical student, who loves this hobby, so doing things on a budget is the order of the day.
so far i have spent

tank + filter + stand + lights + heater 100GBP (second hand)
sand 25GBP
live rock 20kilos 70GBP
Fish and inverts - 150GBP (Regal, Copperband, Mandarin, 2x Common Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp, Hermits and snails, Pulsing Softie and knobbly mushroom and polyp colony)
Air lift skimmer and pump 35GBP

total 380GBP-- Thats approx $760

I think my tank is pretty good considering my budget...

Here are some picsDSC00244.JPG

DSC00234.JPG

DSC00245.JPG

DSC00176.JPG

DSC00209.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

DSC00229.JPG

so it can be done.... I haven't lost anything to date. I have been up and running for 4 months!! Had a problem with cyano but its almost all gone!!

DSC00244.JPG DSC00234.JPG DSC00245.JPG DSC00176.JPG DSC00209.JPG DSC00230.JPG DSC00229.JPG

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
SWEET TANK...even more so on a budget!!!

craglord

AC Members
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff UK
thanks guys. Its a 75gal. in case you were wondering. All i got planned for it know is a royal gramma and a few chromis, and maybe some flat mushrooms, then i think i will be done. I will keep you updated!!

Thanks for your comments!!

:)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
very nice set up
just shop and stay within your limits.

considering some othet hobbies out there ..this one is one where you get more bang for the buck

the amount spent here is peanuts compared to what I use to spend bulding hotrods and upgrades on bikes.

and I actually get more pleasure out of this..I hardly ever turn on the television any more

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Id say your tank looks like it has a lot of BANG for the buck.:headbang2:

chris331

AC Members
looks good. don't think about the cash. it makes the hobby much more enjoyable... lol. i figure if i wasn't at home toying and watching my tanks, i'd be wasting my money on other things, so i can chalk it up as... an entertainment expense. lol. since i converted my tank from FW to SW i've probably spent a few hundered, and that's only low because i work at a pet chain and have acccess to clearance items. lol. the live rock was the biggest chunk in the wallet. but honestly, it's soooo worth it!!

THEJRC

Third String Messiah?
Good point Chris, I'm fairly certain my wife lets me spend so much simply on the fact that if I wasnt at home with the tanks or at the gun club (another expensive hobby) I'd be out and about spending it on less "fullfilling" things like boozing....

Though I must say, I have had a few budget tanks in my day that went just as well. Truth be told... if I can spend it on the hobby I will, if I cant it doesnt really make a whole lot of difference. Especially now with online communities such as this it's real easy to swap and trade most anything to feed most any hobby well and I've found 9 times out of 10 if I really need it I either already have it or someone has it who needs some random item I have just gathering dust!

and coincedentally, nothing makes the wife more happy than watching the random collection of computers, phone systems, etc that I pick up as an IT consultant dissapear from the garage for more compact items that hang off the tank. (though the tanks are starting to take over now....)

Anybody need a used phone system? Hah!

johnbach

AC Members
May 13, 2007
wales uk
Yep its an expensive hoby, my tank been runing for about a year now byt stil find new life growing in there all the time, i just got a 6ft tank and cant waight to set it up, the enjoyment out ways the expense i think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store