This is an Expensive hobby...lol

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
55 gallon tank and stand: Had for years, but I got a killer deal of $200 for them (acrylic tank with no front edges): $200
Lights are a used t5 Nova Extreme yadda yadda: $130
Skimmer Coralife SS65: $70
Powerheads (2xmaxi1200s): $40
Sand: 2 bags of craigslisted arag-alive: $25
Rock: Well, Probably $300 worth of rock, at any rate
Frags: From fellow reefers (20ish) ...$200
Snails and Shrimps and Crabs: (Fellow reefers and a Petco price mistake): $50
Anemone: $25+$23 in tolls to drive to Brooklyn, NYC: $~50
Salt: Probably $100 worth in the first few months
Power cords, hydrometers, and all the food and knick knacks: $100
Fish...well, no fish there anymore, so we won't count those...

$1435?

Add another few hundred for failed this or dead that...wow...didn't realize I'd spent that much..

And I just set up a second tank. ;)

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
I'm at close to $4,000 for my whole 120g setup. Thats the tank, stand, equipment,(lighting), LR, sand, fish, and coral. And i only have about 1/4 of the coral that i want so far.

SuperScro

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
Of course its expensive but every penny is worth it.

untoldlegacy

My Rock Can Play Dead!
Mar 28, 2007
I had no idea how much money you could pump into these tanks! the pics look awesome though, hopfully mine will look as good as some of yours :D

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
yes it is but i am spending $200 on skydiving this weekend and it only lasts for a short while haha think of what i could buy for my tank...

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
yeah money just vanishes on this hobby.....my 100gal tank has cost me £1500 so far and ive just 5 fish and some soft corals.....but its well worth it mate

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
About $2k CDN into my 34g Red Sea Max so far, no fish or corals yet.

I've got a log going over on Reef Central: Reef Log if anyone is interested.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ok, to let off the fireworks here.....let me throw in a quick thought / observation...

Yes, i agree its an expensive hobby, but, one thing that people forget, is we only put in to our systems, the money that "we want to". There is no saying that a basic saltwater system cannot be done on a mediochre budget. I am not saying that it will be the best saltwater system, but, it will be a working system. Many parts and things can be brought from eBay and Craigslist these days which for someone on a budget, its ideal for.

I am certainly not saying that cheap is the best route, we all know that, however, i dont want to see people scared out of the hobby..

This is just a personal opinion..

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store