This site is a ghost town.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I'm glad I'm not alone
I remember watching so many videos from different people and almost everybody said the same things and with how often I see Father Fish being recommended I decided to watch his videos as well and man I was not ready for him lol. watched like 2 or 3 videos of father fish and that was it, no more.

That's the one I mentioned runs like a cult.

This is legit how cults are made. This is not cool and closes off so much.
I'm not surprised father fish was the one like a cult, he does give that vibe

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I remember watching so many videos from different people and almost everybody said the same things and with how often I see Father Fish being recommended I decided to watch his videos as well and man I was not ready for him lol. watched like 2 or 3 videos of father fish and that was it, no more.

I'm not surprised father fish was the one like a cult, he does give that vibe
It's kinda sad. There's many ways for this hobby to be done, and I understand some of the stuff being said and the logic behind it. Problem is the bigger picture it doesn't work out and poses a lot of problems.

Particularly, I've seen many a post of his followers saying to purposely introduce parasites from outside to their tanks so their fish build an immunity while living with said parasites.

Okay, I could see how by a local environment becoming resistant to it, but the problem is our tanks do end up cross contaminating other things.

Example, plant trimmings sold or traded. Fry sold or traded. And then water changes drained back to our water ways if you drain down the drains instead of into a garden. Not everyone's tanks are set up to be resistant to these diseases. And if you know anything about some diseases, they're able to mutate in different environments many times.

Say this follower introduces a parasite. Their fish live with it fine. But they spread it inadvertently to another hobbyist who doesn't follow this method. Now this person is stuck with the disease. And if theyre not able to treat it (medication bans in many countries, for example), then it either wipes their tank out or they spread it themselves on to others and if the parasite got back to the wild environment, it's had time in the hobby to mutate into a strain the wild fish were not able to cope with and causes a disease outbreak with native wildlife.

Its an irresponsible practice on a larger scale in this particular situation.

And the fact that this follower insisted it based off of Father Fish's instructions makes me cringe.

I can understand wanting to build an immunity in your tank setup, it's not wrong in theory, but the dangers it poses to other things is wrong.

Reactions: fishorama
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Based on the below, there is not really a required profile here. The only information requested is a valid Email addy and you date of birth. You can make up any user name that isn't a violation of site rules. Your age is needed to protect minors. Your real name or address etc., are not a part of registration. You will need to ptrovide an email or phone number to most places I believe?

Manning, J. (2014.) Social media, definition and classes of. In K. Harvey (Ed.),
Encyclopedia of social media and politics (pp. 1158-1162). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sag

p. 1158

Social Media, Definition and Classes of

Social media is the term often used to refer to new forms of media that involve interactive
participation. Often the development of media is divided into two different ages, the broadcast
age and the interactive age. In the broadcast age, media were almost exclusively centralized
where one entity—such as a radio or television station, newspaper company, or a movie
production studio—distributed messages to many people. Feedback to media outlets was often
indirect, delayed, and impersonal. Mediated communication between individuals typically
happened on a much smaller level, usually via personal letters, telephone calls, or sometimes on
a slightly larger scale through means such as photocopied family newsletters.

With the rise of digital and mobile technologies, interaction on a large scale became
easier for individuals than ever before; and as such, a new media age was born where
interactivity was placed at the center of new media functions. One individual could now speak to
many, and instant feedback was a possibility. Where citizens and consumers used to have limited
and somewhat muted voices, now they could share their opinions with many. The low cost and
accessibility of new technology also allowed more options for media consumption than ever
before – and so instead of only a few news outlets, individuals now have the ability to seek
information from several sources and to dialogue with others via message forums about the
information posted. At the core of this ongoing revolution is social media. The characteristics,
common forms, and common functions of social media are explored here.

Core Characteristics

All social media involve some sort of digital platform, whether that be mobile or stationary. Not
everything that is digital, however, is necessarily social media. Two common characteristics help
to define social media. First, social media allow some form of participation. Social media are
never completely passive, even if sometimes social networking sites such as Facebook may
allow passive viewing of what others are posting. Usually, at bare minimum, a profile must be
created that allows for the beginning of the potential for interaction. That quality in and of itself
sets social media apart from traditional media where personal profiles are not the norm. Second
and in line with their participatory nature, social media involve interaction. This interaction can
be with established friends, family, or acquaintances or with new people who share common
interests or even a common acquaintance circle. Although many social media were or are
initially treated or referred to as novel, as they continue to be integrated into personal and
professional lives they become less noticed and more expected.
from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290514612_Definition_and_Classes_of_Social_Media

Apr 2, 2002
New York
BTW- Father fish has a website where he sells things for aquariums. I took a quick look and actually came away leaning something.

On his site he was selling/suggesting using Vitamin C to nreutralize chlorimine. I did some fast research and confirmed it will do this. But one can also be " Using Vitamin C To Neutralize Chlorine in Water Systems "

VITAMIN C DECHLORINATION
Vitamin C is a newer chemical method for neutralizing chlorine. Two forms of vitamin C, ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate, will neutralize chlorine. Neither is considered a hazardous chemical. First, vitamin C does not lower the dissolved oxygen as much as sulfur-based chemicals do. Second, vitamin C is not toxic to aquatic life at the levels used for dechlorinating water. Although ascorbic acid is mildly acidic and, in large doses, will lower the pH of the treated water, sodium ascorbate is neutral and will not affect the pH of the treated water or the receiving stream. Both forms of vitamin C are stable, with a shelf life of at least 1 year in a dry form if kept in a cool, dark place. Once it is placed in solution, however, vitamin C degrades in a day or two.

Ascorbic Acid
One gram of ascorbic acid will neutralize 1 milligram per liter of chlorine per 100 gallons of water.

Approximately 2.8 parts of sodium ascorbate are required to neutralize 1 part chlorine. When vitamin C is oxidized, a weak acid called dehydroascorbic acid forms.

Several studies have evaluated the use of ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate to neutralize low levels of chlorine�less than 2 milligrams per liter. Only one study (Tacoma Water Utility Report) evaluated the use of ascorbic acid to neutralize high levels of chlorine�up to 100 milligrams per liter. The Tacoma, WA, Water Utility Engineer recommends against using ascorbic acid to neutralize high levels of chlorine in large volumes of water because it lowers the pH of the treated water. The Tacoma Water Utility engineer recommends using sodium ascorbate instead.
from https://www.fs.usda.gov/t-d/pubs/html/05231301/05231301.html

Reactions: Slappy*McFish

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I wonder if ascorbic acid also works with chloramines too? I didn't read the entire article...& what levels of clorine are high or low.

I have never done a youtube site for other than music. I do a local plant club, a couple national or international plant & scaping sites, a loach FB site & a few fish family sites like Planetcatfish or general fish sites like seriouslyfish.

Although I have been in this hobby for 40+ years I can still learn new things...but often spot some lesser advice when I see it.

Reactions: Slappy*McFish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store