Tiger barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have Tiger Barbs as well and have found that 6-8 is the best minimum. They are very active and respond to feeding times and also when I walk into the room!. I have to agree that they are often over-looked due to the tendency to be fin nippers. Over-all an active and great fish to have.

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
I had 18 at one point in my 75 gallon tank, with 6 cories, and two bristle nose pleco's. They worked out great, and looked awesome. I had 9 red tigers, and 9 green tigers :) Very active! and was hilarious to watch during feeding time!
I agree with the 10 tigers and 5 cories in the 55 gallon tank!

MIke

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
My tiger barbs are too precocious. I don't think danios, mollies, or swordtails would fare too well with them.

As other people said, the tigers are fascinating to watch. Perpetual motion until the lights go out. When they sleep, they all face down.... strange, but neat. I think its a camoflage tactic. A school of about 12 in a 55g sounds about right....with about 6 cories.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
. . .
As other people said, the tigers are fascinating to watch. Perpetual motion until the lights go out. When they sleep, they all face down.... strange, but neat. I think its a camoflage tactic. A school of about 12 in a 55g sounds about right....with about 6 cories.

Actually it supposedly helps them to digest their food. I have no idea why or how.

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Actually it supposedly helps them to digest their food. I have no idea why or how.
Fascinating. They do eat like pigs, so I guess digestion is an issue. :werd: You should see them attack a tubifex cube.

I have some artificial plants with small leaves in with them and when they go vertical their stripes are horizontal. They are almost invisible in the plants.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Danios will work but mollies and swordtails..think about their fins. You don't want trimmed dorsal and caudal fins, do you? A large tank is fine but not in a 29g. Tigers nip when they feel cramped or when they feel they have no one else to peck on which is why bigger numbers are often recommended. I do have four tiger barbs which I haven't added up to now and they work well with my arulius barbs where I have 3 males with long dorsal fins. None have nipped fins as they are the only ones along with the silver dollars as the middle dwellers of my river tank along with some aggressive loaches.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I agree with Lupin. In the 55 gallon, you might be able to get away with it, but be careful! Keep a close eye on them and be prepared to move them to a different tank. It is true that with plenty of space and a big enough group they tend to not nip as much, I don't know that it goes away completely, so beware for your swordtails' lovely fins!

abovethestorm

AC Members
Aug 20, 2008
I think that I am going to keep my 29g as is. I have just gotten it where it looks nice with the stock it has so it would be pointless to move everything to a 55g and mess up the flow it has. I am still working on the 75g (or larger) for the Oscar baby that I have. But after I finish that project I definatly want a tank of tiger barbs. There is something about the orange and black against green plants that I like. It will be at least a 55g so I can have a nice size group.

I really enjoy planning things out. Right now I am trying to figure the details for the oscar tank. I'll be building my own stand to save some money and I am looking for someone who is selling 100g tank by itself for a reasonable price. Everything ive found thus far is a package deal for more than I plan on spending. That is the reason I may settle for a new 75g. Anyway, I have now jumped into rambling lol sorry.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I had several Iand In my opinion, if you have at least 6, they usually leave other fish alone. I had a small school in with my discus, and they never bothered anyone...

If I ever set up my angelfish tank, I'll put some in there...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store