True Albino Betta on Aquabid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
someone who graduated with two science degrees, I take offense to saying a casual observer and scientific observation are the same thing!
I believe that they are the same thing, it just depends on who's perspective. If your high and mighty, then yes there is a difference between the two.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I believe that they are the same thing, it just depends on who's perspective. If your high and mighty, then yes there is a difference between the two.
What a ridiculous statement. Seriously? It has nothing to do with being high and mighty, it has to do with being educated and trained in a particular field. That's like if you had a medical issue and you said a doctor's diagnosis is the same as someone's response on yahoo answers. Good luck with that.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Unforunately I slightly disagree UN. Only one (or a select of a specific group) person's observation of something happening just once or twice definately is not the same as a scientist who has complete control of the situtation and factors. However, repeated patterns that are noticed over and over and over again by thousands of people over many, many years, chances are then the "casual observation" and scientific ones are just about the same.

also, when you say that it depends on perspective, you also need to consider the flip side of a regular person without the complete education of a person say like a scientist then he or she is will probably want to consider him or herself as equal in knowledge as the 'high and mighty' person as to not feel inferior. so he or she will naturally lean towards saying that his or her facts are the same as a 'high and mighty' person.

JettaJokey: I"m not meaning to stir things up, but techinically couldn't we compare ourselves to yahooanswer people? There are a good number of us who have no official education and or training in the field of fish keeping (I highly doubt every single person online here has majored in a field like marine biology and such). Most of us have learned from experience over the years (aka 'casual observations') and from what we've heard from other people. Yet people come here, seeking answers and help and to share experiences, and I think you'll admit that our 'casual observations' over the years have gotten pretty gosh darn accurate (for the most part). Chances are if someone came looking for an answer to why his fish is sick and how to heal it, we could give just as accurate of information as could someone trained in the field.

Last edited:

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
JettaJokey: I"m not meaning to stir things up, but techinically couldn't we compare ourselves to yahooanswer people? There are a good number of us who have no official education and or training in the field of fish keeping (I highly doubt every single person online here has majored in a field like marine biology and such). Most of us have learned from experience over the years (aka 'casual observations') and from what we've heard from other people. Yet people come here, seeking answers and help and to share experiences, and I think you'll admit that our 'casual observations' over the years have gotten pretty gosh darn accurate (for the most part). Chances are if someone came looking for an answer to why his fish is sick and how to heal it, we could give just as accurate of information as could someone trained in the field.
Hi. First off, you destroyed the spelling of my name. Secondly, I was responding to user_name's comment to ccm. In some ways this is similar to the yahoo answers forum, but when it comes to someone who has an actual background in science and random joe schmoe doling out advice, there's a big difference.

I didn't say that the advice given here in general was inaccurate, just that casual observation is not nearly the same as scientific observation.

What's being discussed here isn't general fishkeeping stuff. How many people here really know the ins and outs of albinism, genetics, or for that matter, selective breeding?

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Hi. First off, you destroyed the spelling of my name. Secondly, I was responding to user_name's comment to ccm. In some ways this is similar to the yahoo answers forum, but when it comes to someone who has an actual background in science and random joe schmoe doling out advice, there's a big difference.

I didn't say that the advice given here in general was inaccurate, just that casual observation is not nearly the same as scientific observation.

What's being discussed here isn't general fishkeeping stuff. How many people here really know the ins and outs of albinism, genetics, or for that matter, selective breeding?
Sorry for mispelling your name, that was my bad. Also, point taken.

knifegill

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
It looks like I might have an albino in my latest batch of fry. They are nearing the 1" mark and one of them lacks the black eyes of the rest, and almost seems to have pink eyes but they are so tiny it's hard to tell. They are all cellophane so it's pretty dodgy at this point. I'll post pics if it's an albino.

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
uh oh, better just flush them now.

:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store