Tubifex Worms Anyone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Well 3 teaspoons is going to be far fewer than a 1/4 pound, but do I need that much? If they are in an invert only tank, they should multiply readily, right?

There is some good info here. Who knew you guys knew so much about worms? :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Well 3 teaspoons is going to be far fewer than a 1/4 pound, but do I need that much? If they are in an invert only tank, they should multiply readily, right?

There is some good info here. Who knew you guys knew so much about worms? :)
we might just be better at google ;)

when we do, we normally buy worms by the pound, and a pound of worms looks like it's a cup or two (you think keeping them in the fridge gets funny looks, how do you think using measuring utensils on them would be?) so you can likely do the math; but the larger the starting culture the more sustainable it will be, especially if you end up feeding them to fish a lot.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Right, I figure a larger amount would get you started faster, but one teaspoon would be $2 less. I don't have cold packs or anything, but I'd definitely rinse them first and ship them with some hornwort or something...

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Qwe I think what Doug was saying is that I should get the larger amount from the breeder to have a more sustainable population. But I have never tried these, so if you are willing to ship me a smaller amount from your LFS, I see no reason not to give that a go. PM me your paypal address, and let's go for it! I'll just hold off on feeding them to fish until they increase in population. I need to redo my invert tank anyway. It's probably cold where you are anyway. They can thaw out when they get to FL :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wasn't saying you should, more that it would be something to consider.. it all depends how you'll feed.

If I was going to say that there was a determining factor, it would be that the breeder is experienced in shipping them and will know exactly what is needed to keep them healthy and alive when they arrive. Both of you need to have your eyes open, and be ready for the possibility that the worms will not be alive upon arrival. I don't think that *I* would be comfortable shipping blackworms, especially not in a small box, even in the winter.

I'd love to know if anyone has experience shipping them, and what they use for packaging and shipment methods; I might just be worrying for nothing.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
The truth is, we have no idea either. It's worth a shot to me. We're talking about a $10 gamble, so I'm okay with that. I'll definitely report back when I get the worms on how it all went.

Doug, have you ordered them from a breeder before? I feel like I read that earlier in the thread, but enlighten us again. How were they packaged? In a bag with water? In some substrate? I know you mentioned a cold pack, but I think we will try skipping that.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't order directly from a breeder, but a few times a year we'll order a pound as part of a group buy in one of our aquarium societies.

the worms come a pound in a bag, I don't know how they are prepared beforehand but I assume washed.

they are damp, not in an obvious volume of water and they are cold.

the worms, maybe 20-30 or more bags, each a pound in weight come in a large styro, such as a fish store would receive fish in, but in the box with packaged dry ice and newspaper. I don't know how they are shipped, but I would assume overnight unless they are picked up by someone.

I know of another worm farm that's maybe 90 mins from my house where I could buy worms over the counter too.

it's been a long long time since I've bought blackworms from a pet store.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
It's surprising that they survive on ice AND then survive in an aquarium at tropical temps. That's a crazy range! That also makes me think they will be fine in shipping either way, but that's theory.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Consider metabolism rate... being on ice will be closer to hibernation, so little to no digestion or waste.

at room temperature in a bag, what is going to dilute the waste produced? and what are the worms going to be eating?

that's why the general consensus is to keep them refrigerated with an occasional rinse except for feeding, or to keep them in a well established, cycled aquarium.

They can be sensitive even to the water used to rinse them, hence my trepidation here.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Makes sense to me, Dougall. I'm all for the science of this. Qwe and I should talk strategy here. Temps are up into the 70's here, and they have even hit 80's 100 miles North of here in Montgomery, AL (which is weird.) That means that they will likely be out of winter temps for a day in transit if shipping goes normally from North to South.

Qwe, what are you thinking we should do? I'm guessing you don't have breather bags since you have never shipped before, so we should be sure and leave a reasonable bubble of air in their bag. Do you have some damp soil you can send in the bag with them? How about some sand? I can always rinse whatever it is off when they get here. How about some food of some sort? Tacos? Just kidding! (Man I really have a craving for tacos!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store