Two fantail goldfish separated due to chasing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Lol! It sounds silly but when the tired male was sitting on the gravel and I thought he would be happier on the side with the ornament. So I switched them to the opposite sides of the divider and he perked up. The problem is the female has to be kept separated or she goes on a high-speed chase after the male. They have been together over 3 yrs. They were fine in the larger 29 gal tank for about a week, then I noticed the ich, then the next day, the chasing.
I must admit my foolishness at not having researched fantail goldfish before we started. I did not know size, lifespan or anything really. In fairness to myself, I did put them into bigger tanks at a cost hardly affordable to this disabled mom.
I don't know what to do other than keeping them separated. I don't have a clue why she's chasing him, or what else I can do about it.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
I don't know what do. I don't know why she wants to chase him. For now, I just keep the divider in place.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
Goldfish are schooling fish and most schooling fish tend to pick on weaker individuals. The problem in aquaria is that there is nowhere to hid (lest you have a massive tank). Goldfish also work well when kept alone but they don't pair up like many cichlids do so a pair of them might end up acting like yours.

Short of losing one the only options you have are keeping them separate (via divider or separate tanks) or adding more goldfish (provided they are the same type and size) (if you have a big enough tank)

(If it is a marital issue goldfish have a memory of about 3 months) ;-P

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
They are both fantail though the male looks like it is could be veiltale; he was black and gold but is now less black. The female is gold and silver, twin tails but not as long and delicate as the male. She damaged his tail just slightly.They are similar size and age. Do you think I should leave the divider indefinitely? The male is subdued but I see no signs of ailing :huh:. My 10 yr old daughter is counting on me to save her fish. thanks for helping us.:)

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
The place on his fin I thought was damaged is looking like fin rot. Back to the pet store in the morning.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
He is lethargic, still eating though. The fin looks slightly pinkish, slightly tattered and broken near the edge. I am treating him with Tetra Fungus Guard as directed by the pet store. I removed the filter and filled it with filter wool. I appreciate any help and advice. thanks

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
He is nose down in the bottom of the tank. The ailing fin has changed colour, from pinkish to greyish. We wait for the medicine to do it's work, and pray.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store