Two fantail goldfish separated due to chasing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
i would put 1 teaspoon/gallon non iodized pure salt in a cup with some tank water.dissolve it and add it over a few hours time. do a lot of water changes over the next week.replenish the salt that is taken out.make sure that the salt does not have anti caking agents in it.mortons canning and pickling salt is good and cheap.i can not believe the lfs did not tell you to treat with salt first.if you see no improvement over the next few days,let me know and we will either up the salt or look into a salt dip or other treatment.you can still use the fungus guard during the salt treatment.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Thank you Sandybottom! I will do exactly as you advise. We certainly are grateful for the help. He looks no better today.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
He is looking worse. He has a reddish spot on his side and a few of the 'veins' in his tail are like red streaks. I have done the water change, the salt as directed, and the fungus treatment. It is good aquarium salt. He behaves as a sick fish, sitting at the bottom. What now? The lfs said to do a second fungal treatment, tomorrow, after running the charcoal filter for 3 hours. Can we cure him? It makes me sad that he gets sicker after each treatment. Could I be doing something wrong?

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
you can treat the fish in quarantine with maracyn 2.this is a broad spectrum antibiotic.from what you have described,it sounds like septicemia.you said you are using tetra fungus guard,correct?this will also treat septecemia.did you have charcoal in the filter during the fungus guard treatment?i think you said that you were running only filter floss? i would also do a water change tomorrow before adding the meds.

Last edited:

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
I have done the water changes, and the second fungal treatment. He seems worse. What now? I'm very worried. Thanks.

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
can you do daily water changes?keep adding salt.can you get maracyn2 or triple sulfa?do this in quarantine.if you have not been using quarantine and asing the fungus cure,you may have killed your bacterial colonies,adding to the problem.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Okay, I'll do daily water changes. I'll keep adding salt. I know nothing about quarantine. I'm going straight to the lfs for maracyn2 or triple sulfa. Still running the filter on wool only.The fish is worse.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
He is in quarantine in a one and a half gallon glass jar. I need to know how to care for him, such as how long he should stay in there, if I should aerate the water, how often to change water and how much. Meantime, I want to do a water change on the 29 gal tank and clean the medicine out, is that the right thing to do? Thank you for helping me save Spots.:goldfish:

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
yes,put an airstone in there.if you have no way to adjust the flow and it seems too much,leave it toward the top of the water.you will want to do daily water changes on a quarantine that small.do you use buckets for water changes?what did you get for meds?is it powder or liquid?go ahead and clean the 29 out.i will do my best to help you.septecemia is very difficult to cure though.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
The maracyn2 is powder. I use a large jug and a plastic bucket for water changes. I'm going to do a water change now. Should the quarantine have salt? I'm really grateful for your help, Sandybottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store