ugh, petsmart.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Well, that is is a silly experience.

On the other hand, as long as the employees are INFORMED I think it is great that they ask some basic questions. Jack's is a chain around Cincinnati. The last couple of times I've gotten fish there, they have asked some good questions. I stopped in for glolight tetras - wanted 2 or 3 to round out a school after I moved. The person getting the fish asked if I had an established tank and explained that these fish will not do well in a brand new tank. Then she asked what other fish I have in the tank.

I explained my tanks and situation and I thanked the employee for asking some good basic questions.

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
i think it's good that they ask and inform too, for the people that don't know what they're getting into, but not when they don't know what they're doing or talking about.

Born4spd

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
So its good to ask questions as long as we dont ask the experienced people?

And how are we supposed to seperate the experienced fish keeper from the average know nothing. She probably just got through dealing with a "i want to put this gourami in a 1 quart bowl customer."

I hate to break it to you but its a store, they ask the questions to minimize fish loss so that they can make money.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
Its funny you mention a problem with not being sold Fish. I had that same problem yesterday as well, but at Petco.

They had a sale going on for tetras, guppies barbs, buy 5 for $5. I decided to go and get some. I had to travel 40 minutes since my Petco was out. I get there and see they have what I want. I tell the girl (maybe 19) I wanted 10 neon tetra's, and 6 male guppies, 4 otto's. She comes back with the same question.... What size tank do you have? I say I have several, a 125, 30, and a 90. The tetra's will be goin in my 30, the ottos also and the guppies in my 125. She tells me she wont sell me the fish as it will stress them too much.
I ask here how? She says its to many fish, how long has the tank been setup? I tell her the 125 4 years, the 30 a few weeks. She still refused to sell them to me as it would be too stressful fo them. I ask when you get shipments you dont just get 2 or 3 fish, what about that stress. She comes back and says The pets come first. I then asked to speak to the manager and she says, I am. I then say thats sad and got the other managers names.

Then I said fine I'll go somewhere else, and stormed out.

What is with these people? They dont know jack about anything. I can understand asking the normal questions so fish dont get sold to beginners who arent ready. But there is no need to be rude and refuse to sell you anything. I even brought in some of my water so they can test it,(even tho I tested it and levels were in line) but she diditn even want any part of it.

Last edited:

NYCguppydude

Guppy Addict
Dec 14, 2008
NYC,NY,10034
wildguppystore.com
Real Name
Andy G.
Hey all
I agree with H3d don't answer..........And what ever happened to "the customer is always right" rule.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Its funny you mention a problem with not being sold Fish. I had that same problem yesterday as well, but at Petco.

They had a sale going on for tetras, guppies barbs, buy 5 for $5. I decided to go and get some. I had to travel 40 minutes since my Petco was out. I get there and see they have what I want. I tell the girl (maybe 19) I wanted 10 neon tetra's, and 6 male guppies, 4 otto's. She comes back with the same question.... What size tank do you have? I say I have several, a 125, 30, and a 90. The tetra's will be goin in my 30, the ottos also and the guppies in my 125. She tells me she wont sell me the fish as it will stress them too much.
I ask here how? She says its to many fish, how long has the tank been setup? I tell her the 125 4 years, the 30 a few weeks. She still refused to sell them to me as it would be too stressful fo them. I ask when you get shipments you dont just get 2 or 3 fish, what about that stress. She comes back and says The pets come first. I then asked to speak to the manager and she says, I am. I then say thats sad and got the other managers names.

Then I said fine I'll go somewhere else, and stormed out.

What is with these people? They dont know jack about anything. I can understand asking the normal questions so fish dont get sold to beginners who arent ready. But there is no need to be rude and refuse to sell you anything. I even brought in some of my water so they can test it,(even tho I tested it and levels were in line) but she diditn even want any part of it.

Bull****. I'd go higher up than manager, she's refusing to sell products and she doesn't even have a reason.

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Yeah, it's disturbing to see them send off newbies with goldfish for their half-gallon bowls and then refuse to sell to an experienced aquarist... :(

timbo83

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
canal fulton ohio
i hate going to petsmat to buy fish. it ticks me off everytime i tell them that i have enough tanks and they still keep on with there b.s. i will only buy from one person at the petsmart by my house because she acuatlly knows what she is talking about. i try to only buy what i need at my local mom and pop fish store but when they go on vaction they close down for 2 weeks at a time. the down side to my lfs is their prices cant compare to petsmart. owell what can you do?

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
She comes back with the same question.... What size tank do you have? I say I have several, a 125, 30, and a 90.
I'm always asked those questions when shopping at Petsmart in Merrillville (80 miles west of Mishawaka). Usually, those questions are understandable since I know for a fact there are many ignorant fish owners in my area whom don't know what the heck they are doing & the sales clerks know that (I've overheard customers ask some really stupid questions). Anyway, I personally would not have handled the situtation the way your sales lady did. She *could* have mentioned to you that "Keep in mind that Angels have been known to be aggressive towards Loaches," but she should not have refused you the sale. For future reference, next time tell the person that you have reserved a large tank that's now cycled & ready for loaches. Although unnecessary, it's clear now that some instances might make it necessary!

I'm really really sorry about your bad experience. I hope those loaches were really sick & in some mysterious way, your sales clerk was saving you the trouble... I hope you can find your loaches somewhere else!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store