ugh, petsmart.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Well, the least you can do is be grateful they ask. They are at least concerned. A lot of buyers often complain about sellers selling them anything they want without doing too much research yet some buyers again are doing the reverse blaming the sellers for refusing a sale. Which exactly do we want? An intensive chat with the seller often do wonders. Let him/her understand your reasons for buying a fish and if he/she is not convinced, you can always offer backups for your claims that is, if you even have the patience to do it. I had an LFS owner impressed me by refusing a sale to someone who wanted some African cichlids with his angelfish. I was a new customer at that time. Naturally, he asked me as well before making a sale. I explained to him everything about my tanks and even to the point of quarantining them, he answered in response that people who had the patience to chat with the sellers deserve better than those who simply snub their advice and shrug off the feeling as they buy their merchandise. Just my experience.

txbetta

Little Betta Girl
Oct 7, 2008
DFW
I call corporate with them right there as I do it. Works everytime, last time I did that the corporate agent asked to speak to the sales person, I handed the phone over, sales person said 3 things, handed phone back, completed sales.

Course this works at every chain store not just pet ones. I also got a 50 dollar gift cert out of that incident. ;)

Dexmaster

Space Monkey
Mar 17, 2008
Michigan
Real Name
Jeremiah
I am kinda sad about all this and a little offended I wont say I am the most knowledgeable person on fish though I do know enough but I work in PetCare for PetSmart and I ask the questions so people can make the best out of the aquarium I would hate to have to ever deal with any ones rude comments or people ignoring my questions just because I am trying to make sure they are getting what they need and not over stocking or being silly with their fish and I take pride in what I do and I love helping and informing people on whats good and whats not as far as I know and if people are serious and enjoy their tank I send them home with this website so if they have any other questions the can get the help they need. There is just no need to be rude.

BreellaBlue87

2009: The year of the Bat
Dec 8, 2008
Central New York
I am kinda sad about all this and a little offended I wont say I am the most knowledgeable person on fish though I do know enough but I work in PetCare for PetSmart and I ask the questions so people can make the best out of the aquarium I would hate to have to ever deal with any ones rude comments or people ignoring my questions just because I am trying to make sure they are getting what they need and not over stocking or being silly with their fish and I take pride in what I do and I love helping and informing people on whats good and whats not as far as I know and if people are serious and enjoy their tank I send them home with this website so if they have any other questions the can get the help they need. There is just no need to be rude.
I don't see anyone being rude, sorry you feel that way.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
I ran out of breath just trying to read that in my head.. let alone trying to actually read it out loud. To be serious though, there is nothing wrong with asking the questions. I think its good practice. What complicates the matter is the employee who knows X information to be "true," and will defend that tooth and nail, contrary to whether or not X is accurate information. Misinformation in this trade is one of its greatest pitfalls, and sadly results in the untimely death of thousands of fish. I respect that the employee had the best interest of the fish at heart, but sometimes a little leniency should be afforded once a potential consumer demonstrates comprehensive knowledge about the topic at hand. Getting into a heated argument is no way to settle it, (not that anyone was implying that) and in those situations I would tend to side with the employee who feels they are doing what is best. For an employee to dismiss the possibility that something they "know" about fishkeeping is wrong, and stick to their guns on the whole "no sale" stance despite the demonstration of consumer comprehension, is what genuinely bothers me. It is for this reason I am fortunate I still know most of the folks working at the local Petsmart.

MLEgirl

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Almost every time I go into petsmart they are slicing up oranges and putting them in the water.I never see the fish eat them, they just sit there like a slice of lemon in a glass of lemonade.

Isn't this very acidic for the fish?Bad for the water quality?:confused:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Giver her credit for trying to sell fish to a good fish keeper. She may have been giving wrong advice, but her heart was in the right place. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store