using homemade soil for substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
Thats looking great!!! I've always had good luck myself with soil substrates.
How many ottos do you have in there?

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Mahalo nui ia oe. I have 1 otto because the guy at my LFS said that they do not mind being alone but i am thinking about getting two more because I read a couple of websites that suggested keeping them i small shoals to make them happier. I like my fish to be happy but I am also planning on removing the mollys in about a month and adding 7 kuhli loaches. So I am not sure because I do not know if the room will be adequate given that they are both bottom dwelling species

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Definitely get a few more, they are much more noticeable when in groups. I think you'll be fine with both, otos tend to stick to hardscape and plants compared to the kuhlis which will be more in the substrate.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
Thanks Jpappy! I am going to my LFS right after work tomorrow. This information makes me happy because they really are a good looking fish

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Seems to be progressing nicely...I'd only suggest possibly getting a solid color background. I think black really brings out colors more, even for plants.
I agree. Maybe add in a red plant for some more pop. Still looks great! :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
Thanks jpappy! I was thinking about a black back ground especially because the unpainted, half stripped drywall looks bush league. My only concern was adhering a background to the tank (not something I have ever done) I am horrible at applying screen protectors to laptops and cell phones. I estimate that attaching a background to the aquarium glass after it has been set up would be difficult...are their alternate routes to take in my quest for optimal aesthetics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store