using homemade soil for substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Thank you ktrom! I am glad you suggested some red plants because I have been on the fence about taking some cuttings of R. macranda (which I have growing in my 29g). They are ready for pruning and replanting so I think I am going to do that this weekend when I do my tank cleanings.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
LOL well I can assure that I am in no way an expert on adhering backgrounds. I just did one myself the other day and I felt like it should be a two person job with the struggle I had keeping it flat and staying taped up. Didn't help that the LFS cut it a good 8-12" longer than I had asked...

I usually spray paint. Not the best option though when the tank is already setup. Some people like the look of a back posterboard instead.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
@ Jpappy - Spray painting sound like a sure bet for my next tank, but for this one I think I will go with the black posterboard like you have suggested. I also just got a Coral Blue Gourami and placed the Mexican mollys back in their tank. Can't wait until the tank is fully established so I can add some kuhli loaches.
gouarmi.JPG
0819131826a.jpg

gouarmi.JPG 0819131826a.jpg

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I am a bit jealous of your tank. I only have one dedicated planted tank but its... Uh... Kind of on tye dull side. But im upgrading to a 20H soon and i think the main focus of that tank will be the flora and not the fauna. Btw, i see the red plants you added!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
@ Jpappy - Thank you! I lucked out with this guy. My girlfriend found a LFS about 13 miles from our home (not our regular LFS). This LFS has 1 story dedicated to salt water and the second floor dedicated to freshwater. I called them up and asked if they carried any rams, they said, "yes we have gold rams and blue rams but were out of the blue." When we arrived we found out that the gold ram was a balloon ram (not a good look for my tank). However, to the right side of the store was their gouramis and they were all very beautiful! I picked the Blue Dwarf because of his spectacular colors and peaceful nature.

@ fishdude - thanks for commenting!

@ktrom - Your too kind. And yes I took your suggestion and added some Rotala magenta, it looks a lot better with them IMO. I still have to follow up with jpappy's suggestion and add some black posterboard for the background. I had some pump problems (my fault for using an old pump I knew was going to die) so at the moment I have some PVC pipe showing but I hope to fix this by next week. Look forward to seeing your planted 20H!

panaoramatank.JPG

panaoramatank.JPG

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
I think oto and gungourami require different value for ph and gh respect to platy
Co2 and air bubble is a bad mix, you lose co2.
I have a 12 liter with similar bottom, is a good solution form plant, but gravel is too thick for pangio.
how type filter use?

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
@ agro - thank you for the info. I do not have any platy, I know that mollys are related in the fact that they are both livebearers, but i already moved my mollys out and back to their tank (i had them in there to eat hair algae and produce waste). I waited until seeing maximum oxygen production from my plants, this morning it was clear to me that the tank needs no more daytime air but i will still run at night when lights are out. When I first started the set up i was running a long air stone bar across the substarte, but as the plants began to establish themselves and produce visable amounts of oxygen i began greatly reducing the amount of air pumped into the tank. The substrate is capped with gravel but has third layer which is coral sand (sifted, rinsed and strained) which I think will be fine for P. kuhli ( if there is anyone who thinks differently feel free to explain). As far as filtration goes, I have built my own gravity filter which is fed by a sub pump (200gph). The medium is cinder stones, gravel (fine and med) and runs through a series of plastic baffels and carbon before depositing into the rock medium. I shall post my design when i get home.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
-edit- "you're too kind"

here are some sweet plant pics. for only 11 days it is spreading out and filling out pretty good.
uploadfromtaptalk1377283392971.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377283421170.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377283444302.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377283461852.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377283486352.jpg
Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1377283392971.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377283421170.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377283444302.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377283461852.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1377283486352.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store