Victorian cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nchoe123

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2007
I have a half dozen Astatotilapia Latifasciata ("Zebra Obliquidens") which have basically just began to color up in the past couple of months; they're about eight months old, and I got them from a local breeder along with a half dozen uganda fire red, but those guys didn't survive (I had a lone UFR for a couple months).

My group has two large females, one medium and one small runt female or possibly male. Two nicely coloring males; one's mostly black/red with not a lot of yellow, the other has more of the traditional coloring. So I'm thinking that they're getting pretty much old enough to start breeding now.

Crappy camera, no pix.

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I have a half dozen Astatotilapia Latifasciata ("Zebra Obliquidens") which have basically just began to color up in the past couple of months; they're about eight months old, and I got them from a local breeder along with a half dozen uganda fire red, but those guys didn't survive (I had a lone UFR for a couple months).

My group has two large females, one medium and one small runt female or possibly male. Two nicely coloring males; one's mostly black/red with not a lot of yellow, the other has more of the traditional coloring. So I'm thinking that they're getting pretty much old enough to start breeding now.

Crappy camera, no pix.
As far as I know, when they color, they are about ready to start breeding.

I've tried different set ups for these fish, and have gotten no color at all. They started out in a 55 gallon species tank, and they were pretty rough on each other. I had 1 female produce babies, but she ate them quickly. She didn't hold again.

I moved them to a mbuna 125 gallon, with very mild mbuna. They calmed there, but no breeding. I added some Cyrtocara Moorii to the tank, one being 5", and they attacked the largest one. I added 6 at a time, thinking that would help.

They got moved that night, in with my Neochromis Omnicaeruleus. That seems to be a halfway decent mix, but I'm getting a larger colony of the Neochromis this weekend, so they have to leave that tank.

I've had them since October, and have just had the one hold,successfully. I've had others hold, but just for a day or 2. If I could tell male from female, I'd keep a small group, but these guys have been difficult for me. I have found a decent breeder to take them, and hopefuly produce results. My main goal in keeping these fish is to spread them out, and if I can't do it, I'm willing to pass them off to someone who might be able to.

nchoe123

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2007
There's one guy here in the Boston Aquarium Society who breeds them; it turns out that that's who I had gotten mine from, before I was a member of the BAS. So there are pockets of interest around.

Mine are in with the mild mbuna-- loads of yellow labs and I had them with rusties and cobalt zebras. I have since taken the rusties out. I may rehome the vics to a 37 of their own, but they show well in the 55. So now it's a waiting game. I do wish I had a better camera. I know that the tools don't make the carpenter, but it's tough to take even halfway decent shots of fish with a point-and-shoot.

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I have a point and shoot. I take probably 10 pictures for every one I post. I get a lot of "Hey that's a nice rock...wasn't there supposed to be a fish in that picture?" kinds of shots. But, it's what I can afford right now, so I take a ton, and throw away a lot.

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Thought I'd share some new pictures.

Neochromis Omnicaeruleus...my new male. He seems to go from this color to jet black.

Mbipia cf. Lutea~~male in breeding dress. This guy isn't 2 inches yet.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
sweet that first one is a runt aye.. cool photos..

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Well, now I have to laugh. I took all my Astatotilapia Latifasciata (Zebras) to my main fish place for store credit. Dave asked me, are you sure you have a male? I told him I was certain, since I had 11 of them. Gave me credit and I left. He vented them...all 11 were females! Can't get over that!

My Xmas fulus are breeding like crazy. I probably have 50+ fry right now, and still have a bunch of holding females. I'll be donating these to various clubs around the country.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
whats the odds on that hehehe all females wow thats pretty messed up aye..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
lol u got the xmas fulu from daves didnt you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store