Water Change, Fish Now Dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
You know, I had something similar happen to me when I was little. I had gotten angelfish and they were living very happily in their tank until one day my little brother thought "hmmm...those fish have never had a bath, I'll bet they are really dirty" and he preceded to wash them with soap and water. Needless to say they did not make it, I was very upset, and I still hold it over my brother to this day.

However, I don't use a bucket for water changes anymore; I use well rinsed out 1 gallon milk jugs. It makes water changes manageable and no one uses them when cleaning so mix ups occur.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I had an Uncle who passed away at age 17. he had estabilished several tanks, and some pretty nice Angel fish (Back in the late 60's when good information was much harder to find) When he Died my Grandmother cared for his fish line item perfectly exactly as he wanted her to. Then one day she sprayed for flies in the house. 20 years later Grandma gave me a couple of his slate bottom tanks that she still had in the attic. Steel frames, black slate bottoms, and in perfect condition. Nothing would live in those tanks. Whatever was in the fly spray evidently got into the slate, because it was no more than a few minutes in the tank before a fish would start swimming sideways and gasping. Ever since trying those tanks I have been really careful with any chemical of any kind around fish.
Dave

tinytnt

Dynamite comes in small packages
Aug 11, 2005
Lewisville, Texas
Well, I guess this was a case of "only the strong will survive..." After my water change, I lost no more fisht. And yes, he was informed of his mistake and swore to never ever use that bucket again. Didn't kick him in the nuts, as some of you suggested... after all, the day before, he was on his hands and knees scrubbing the bathtub and the floors. How many of ya can claim THAT one?! ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the advice... had no idea I'd come back to check this thread and find 4 pages!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store