What do you recommend?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Kuhlis are usually active in the daytime too. Just remember those 4 words I said and you will usually see them from time to time throughout the day. At least, that's the way my kuhlis are. But if you want cories, then that's fine too.

jenratico

Jen
Apr 8, 2008
Denver, CO
Looks like it's probably going to be corys then. What are some good ones? If I just want to do about 6 of them can I mix and match varieties or should they be all the same?

I like the panda cories - a group of the same species is best, though I have heard some people talk about mixed groups hanging together.

Panda cory:)

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
Kuhli loaches.;) Safe for all invertebrates.
GO THE KUHLI i got 8 and they are great :)

no really great to watch very peaceful and clean the tank well!!! what more could you want

55g fully planted as you can see in the sig and have never had a problem

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
So I'm still trying to decide between kuhli loaches and cory cats. Are they both OK for my planted tank? I've read the loaches like to dig. Are they going to dig up my plants?
Kuhlis are too small to uproot plants. They should be fine in planted tanks compared to botiine loaches who will really uproot everything in their attempts to search for foods. Cories are fine in planted tanks as well although some burrow to forage for food.

nsamuel

AC Members
Apr 3, 2008
Considering your desire to keep the fish length to under 4" and since you have planted tank (which are prone to snail outbreaks), you should check out Dwarf Loach (botia sidthimunki - spelling ?). They are small at 2 and 1/4" and will control small snails. Will not dig up plant roots, but not sure if they are safe with shrimp. If you find out if they are safe with shrimp, post it here for others like to me know. The suggested stocking is 5 of them as a group, and your tank is big enough to hold 5 of them and more bottom dwellers too. The way i think of a tank, if you pick some top dwellers and some bottom dwellers, then they all have their own space and will live stress free because they top and bottom dwellers completely have their own 65gal tank (sort of) - stocking should be determined not only based on the volume and surface area, but also based on other factors like space available for each to swim around. I have requirement somewhat similar to yours, for an upcoming 48 gal tank. Would be interested in finding out what you think of picking some bottom dwellers that could double up as clean up crew + looks nice. BTW, khulli loaches can grow more than 4" and i have heard of cases where they hide in places like filter intake tube. if one is not careful, they will find up inside your canister filter. lol.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
BTW, khulli loaches can grow more than 4" and i have heard of cases where they hide in places like filter intake tube.
Depends which species you are talking about. There are plenty of species that exist however I have never seen Pangio kuhlii above 4 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store