What do you recommend?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
i have my khuli loaches with small glass shrimp and they are fine i got some off cuts of fly screen from a glazier in town for free to keep fry and shrimp happy

thesoul2008

I'm kind of a big deal
May 12, 2008
Alice Springs
au.youtube.com
i have my khuli loaches with small glass shrimp and they are fine i got some off cuts of fly screen from a glazier in town for free to keep fry and shrimp out of the inlet and have not had a problem

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Heres what I suggest:
A group of 5 or more cories
some Syno Upside Down Catfish(Grow to 5'')
Raphel Cat
Botias
Kulhi Loaches
Clown Loaches
zebra loaches

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Heres what I suggest:
Raphel Cat
Botias
Kulhi Loaches
Clown Loaches
zebra loaches
The only ones I can see not eating some/all of his fish & shrimp are the cories & kuhlis.

My personal favourite cories are dwarf Habrosus & Hastatus, pygmy Pygmaeus, peppered Paleatus, skunk Arcuatus, false julii Trilineatus, and panda Panda. I suppose these are most of the commons :p:

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
I went to PetSmart today and saw some kuhlis. They're pretty cool. I like the way they were zipping arund the tank. I think I'll be getting som of those, but not at PetSmart. I've got a good LFS close by.

Those fancy plecos look good too. Could I get one of those also or would it not get along with the kuhlis? The L333 description at PlanetCatfish says it doesn't get along with other ground dwellers. It doesn't say that about the L066.

Thanks for your suggestions.

gatotsu77

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Heres what I suggest:
Raphel Cat
Botias
Kulhi Loaches
Clown Loaches
zebra loaches
I certainly wouldn't suggest the Clown Loaches, as they get far too big for the OP's tank. The Raphael cat can and will eat the small fish and shrimp once its exceeds 4". (they have big mouths... even at 2.5-3" they gobble down shrimp pellets like they're just tiny morsels) I believe the "zebra loaches" you're referring to reach a maximum size of approx. 6", which doesn't quite fit what the OP asked us for. The synodontis nigriventris (upside down catfish) certainly are amusing, and I love the 3 I have. I've read that they reach a max size of only 4", so if anyone has heard differently, please chime in and correct me. Kuhli loaches really are quite active if they feel comfortable in their environment. Don't expect them to be out a whole bunch in the first few days... give them a month and they'll really warm up to a planted tank, and you'll see them playing quite frequently. Corydoras are also great fun to watch, especially in numbers. I have 6 myself, and if I ever upgrade to a larger tank, I'll surely be increasing their numbers to around 20. (this is assuming I get something like a 125g tank)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have kuhlis with corys but not with plecs. I have a clown plec in with a "scribble" plec (may be a L333), small clown loaches & sae. He hides most of the time, as does the clown, & doesn't share his cave with more than 1 or 2 loaches at a time. But he's not actively aggressive, no chasing. The 2 plecs can hide together without problems during cave cleaning etc but normally live at opposite tank ends.
Lots of caves, smooth rock & wood, are important for most bottom dwellers. A bristle nose plec is also a possiblity for you but a bit bigger or a clown plec, both are readily available.
If you get kuhlis wait until they have been at the store a couple weeks. They don't ship well & loses can be high. Get at least 6, they're very social.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store