what is the BEST,BEST tannk heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
i have lost faith in most heaters. i think having a independent controller is the best way to go.
I hear you on the loosing faith thing, although I haven't tried an independent controller.

I tend to run my tank temps at the low end of the recommended temp range for the fish and get the lowest wattage heater that will handle it. I've run into somewhat oversized heaters sticking on.. Hopefully no more of that.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Another vote for Aqueon Pro. Mine has an aluminum outer sheathing. One question though.. Why the need to heat, if your temp stays around 74F? That range may be ideal for most/all of your stock.
well freshyfresh it is because well i know that my temp bounces around sometimes and i would want a stable temp.
A possible reason to have a heater would be just to keep tank temperatures stable. windows being left open, HVAC failure, running out of heating fuel, that sort of thing.

Basically more of an insurance thing than a need.
correct

sheilabarnard

Registered Member
Jul 23, 2013
Florida
I have all 150 watt Cobalt Neo-Therm heaters in one of my 180 gallon discus tanks. I keep my house fairly cool because of my indoor St. Bernards who don't like it too hot. Last month I noticed that my tank wasn't at 86 degrees. It was too cool. When I checked my heaters I found that the one 200 watt Cobalt heater had blown out in the back. It was dead. The bad part is that the heater overheated and died. The good part is that the heater going bad did not injure my precious discus. I am replacing them with Jemco heaters and a temperature controller. I want the heat to not fluctuate and am hoping this will produce better results.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm running the 100 w on my 20 long and it's...ok. The red "on" light is a bit annoying at times, visually. And while the sliding scale matches up with the temp it is set at, it tends to run a bit hotter than my thermometer indicates (i.e. I have to set it lower). But that could be due to other factors. The biggest thing I didn't notice originally is that there is no automatic shutoff.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've heard some good things recently in regards to German made Sera Aquarium Heaters. One nice thing about them is they are very compact.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
im going to petsmart tomorrow after church so i might get a few things

D4213

AC Members
May 13, 2013
+1 on the Jagers. I have them in all my tanks and they've never let me down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store