what is the BEST,BEST tannk heater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
the ones i saw at petsmart said they have an automatic shut off so thats good:)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hope they automatically shut-off.:eek:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Hopefully they turn back on automatically too.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
LOL.. Yes, I hope it's not extra for automatic on.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Nearly every heater has a thermal fuse or a thermal switch that serves as an automatic shut off in a run dry situation. This is STRICTLY as a fire prevention method and will not stop a tank from overheating. It's a necessary component to pass any of the UL safety tests.

If the thermal fuse blows, the heater is trash as it will never heat again. If the thermal switch trips, the heater will reset itself once it cools down and continue to function. In heaters equipped with older style bimetal contact points this is a good thing as the bimetal contact points will still function once the condensation is cleared from the contact points or the heater is put back in water.

There is one brand back on the market that is using a triac for electronic control and also has a thermal switch. This is a poor engineering. The triac should shut the heater off first in a run dry situation. If the triac fails the heater is toast. It cannot be made to function properly again. You don't want it being backed up by a thermal switch which will cause the heater to alternate between overheating and cooling down. It should have a thermal fuse to prevent this.

deetles

AC Members
Feb 10, 2015
I vote for the aqeon pro...bought one for my 36 ...it holds temp steady no need to futz with it...I have an aquatop in my 20...always have to keep an eye on it

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
for the money I like the no fuss Aqueon Pro heaters, plug em in, set the temp and forget. For one i never trust a heater, i have had a marineland pro fail, ehimes fail, and the cobalts fail, bottom line any maniacal or electrical device can and will fail at some point, just my 2 cents
BG

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
I had a 10 gallon heater (think it was an aqueon) and it actually overheated, killed all the fish, then proceeded to explode and trash the tank... it was no fun, had about $100 of combined flora and fauna in that tank...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store