What is this? Fungus? Bacterial? Excess slime?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm out and about, took a friend to the doctor, and I'm on my iPhone. I'm terrible at texting, so I'll be brief....ooops... Gotta go, lol, be back later.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yea, most antiobiotcs don't last in the water column longer than 12 hours, from what I was told from different drug reps

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks, Jinkzie, for the ditto on the antibiotics in the water issue. I think with the 90% water changes daily everything will be fine, so I would just do the every day dosing after the water changes.

Keep the salinity concentration stable, temperature matched, and don't worry about going over a little on the Prime.

Keep the extra airstone going. The pea feeding method you have is excellent. The medicated food is being eaten by Diva, and that's awesome; poor girl must not have very discriminating tastes because all my fish have hated it, lol.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
On the discoloration issue: I've used those meds, and even Jungle lab fungus clear that turns the water green, in a 5 gallon plastic tank and the material didn't retain any of the coloration. I don't know about acrylic, though.

Now, if the tank has silicone seals, which mine didn't, the seals might become stained. It looks to me that Diva's tank is a molded tank like my smaller hospital tanks have been, is that right?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
ADDENDUM: re: this earlier post

Another option that requires more effort is to slightly reduce the daily dosages that you add to the tank water each day. That is a method that is the method that sherryazure has used on occasions that she treated for Columnaris.

A few here on AC will say that just follow the directions and don't do water changes, but I and many others are concerned that water conditions stay pristine in the tank in which you are treating a sick fish.

Many here agree, and I spoke with several aquaria drug company/technical reps that also say this, that the antibiotic breaks down in the water column after several hours and is unavailable then, so big water changes every day with fresh dosing is fine.

The drug/technical reps I spoke with say the main concern is that the hobbiest won't do big enough water changes to remove residual components each day.

I like doing huge water changes and dosing each day, and I do try to reduce the dose very slightly each day to compensate, but that's tough in a smaller tank. I use a 5 gallon hospital, and though I don't have a chemists/pharmacists scale to weigh such small amounts, I use my eyes to get approximates.

With a gazillion things going on here as I was posting the above, I left out that the times I have used the above technique, (in bold text), have been when I'm treating a fish that I feel may possibly have impaired kidney function.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'm assuming you've done the first day of treatment, dosing the tank with Binox and Kanaplex today.

If not, get started as soon as you can.

I believe I would do the Binox every day and the Kanaplex every other day. So that means day two just dose with Binox after your 90% water change, and then the day after do the two together again right after the big water change, and keep this up in this way.

I think by the third or fourth day of treatment she should look better, but I would keep it up for several days and maybe up to 10 days. We can make decisions about the length of treatment as we see how she is doing.

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
I'm not sure what I can say beyond "You guys are great." Thanks so much - especially you Mel with all the step-by-step directions for me to follow (makes it soooo much easier) and all the huge time you're pouring into this!!
(And yes - of course! I will keep you updated as we go through it...)

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
She is gravel vac'ed, water changed, and dosed with both. Salt being added slowly as Mel said.

2 questions. I'm dosing (meds AND salt) for 4 gallons not 5 because I've got about 1 1/2 inches of gravel in there and I don't believe the tank is holding a true 5 gallons. Is that okay or am I shortchanging her? Should I be dosing for 5 gallons ANYhow? (And good luck measuring that Binox well! It's a teaspoon per 25 gallon (5 ml per 25 gallons) so, for me, less than 1 ml. Sure. I hope I'm not putting too much or too little...

Mel - you said this: I would take a cup of this new water from the tank, add 5 level teaspoons of salt and almost bring it to a boil in the microwave to make sure the salt is dissolved. I would wait until this cools and then slowly add this about a fourth of a cup at a time over the day. (over 12 hours) Now the tank is at 0.1% salinity.
Okay, so, that's 1 teaspoon per gallon, so here again, I'm doing only 4. That okay?

And last - Mel, you said you'd dose Binox every day and Kanaplex every other. Now come?

Thanks!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I agree... dosing for 4 gallons sounds right.

I guess I'm just being overly cautious with the Kanaplex, because overdosing on Kanaplex is more risky. However, if you're doing at least 90% water changes every day it would be OK to do it every day, just be careful with the dose.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store