What kind of cichlid would you choose for a 180 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
Hi Jeremy,

I guess with that size of tank, you can go with anything you like.
Just read up on compatibility between species, and try to create a peaceful as possible environment. I don’t support a tank filled with fish from different parts of the world, or even sometimes from different places from the same part.(e.g. Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika or lake Victoria). You could try to recreate a part of a certain habitat in your tank.
Considering the partial water changes you have to perform, which would be approx. 60 gall, I would check up on your tab waters pH, and choose fish based on that, it’s much easier to raise it from 7 to 8 than to lower it from 8 to 7.5 not to mention 6.8.
These are just a few points worth considering. I can’t give you any recommendations as I’m thinking of changing my 120gall mbuna tank into a Central or South American tank.
The only thing that keeps me from doing it, is my tab waters pH which is 8.4.
I’m trying to find a way to lower it close to neutral with as less effort as possible.
So, all I can do is wishing you good luck with the setup of whichever tank.

P.S. Keep us informed about your choice and progress.

Jimmy

Last edited:

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
you could try a colony of frontosas they are really nice looking. and have a kewl social structure..

also i think that the most up toodate scientific name for the jaguars is the parachromis managuenese, or is it nandopis managuenese? =/

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think that it's Nandopsis managuense.

You are thinking of Parachromis motaguense, which is separate.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I don't think that they're necessarily the same part of the family (the full family is Cichlidae, which has many generic names), but I can check on it...I haven't found Jags as Parachromis in any of my searches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store