What kind of cichlid would you choose for a 180 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
I just got a 120 gallon and was debating whether to put it on the second or first floor. I talked with a contractor and he said it depends on the house, though the risks far outweigh the benefits, he told me to play it safe rather than be out thousands.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
my brother got a 55g tank on the upstairs in my house i dunno what beams it on or whatever i just know i like to keep it simple and i keep my tansk on the ground floor.

pclausen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Charlottesville, VA
Visit site
Jeremy, I have a 180 in my living room which is on the 2nd level of a 3 level house. I too have 2x12 joists and a partition wall (non-load bearing) below the tank. However, I do have a massive I-beam off-set about 3 feet in front of where the tank is. If it had not been for this, I would never have put the tank where I did.

One of the important things to make sure is that the joist run perpendicular to the lenght of the tank. Otherwise, all the weight would be handled by only a couple of joists, and that would spell trouble.

Here is a pic:

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
im preety sure jags are now nandopis(not sure if thats the right spelling or not)

id have it on the lowest floor possiable and if not on the ground floor extra support maybe be needed and ive seen marbles roll really fast towards tanks when in a room which is preety scary lol

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I would worry about that much confined weight on anything that hasn'r been reinforced extremely well. If you can position over a load bearing wall, or reinforce the entire are well you should be o.k. but the risk is huge if there is any doubt.

As far as the original question, Oscars and Jd's (1 or two of each ) would be great. But as has been said repeatedly. If I had 180 gallons of fish tank it would have a pair of jags no question in my mind. I am an oscar nut, but still think a full grown jag is the most awesome cichlid around. I had a friend who owned a 15 incher, and it was a bad dude !!!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store