What kind of cichlid would you choose for a 180 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Some breeders will use Parapetenia, some will use Parachromis, and Nandopsis. Some will even use Cichlasoma. We just need to define the guapotes in order for people to know which FOUR generic names they would have to search through...to be continued in another thread.

Jeremy S

AC Members
Jun 26, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
I was just looking at the all-glass website and they said a full 180-gallon tank weighs 2,100 lbs and if you add the stand, gravel and rocks it could weigh up to 3,000 lbs. :eek: I would like to keep it on the upper floor it but I was wondering if the house would be able to support that much weight. It would be right against a supporting wall and right over the I beam that supports the rest of the house. Do you think it would be safe to put it there? Thanks.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
hahaha, I don't think any of us should answer that...you really, really need to consult a structural engineer for that one...I don't want to get sued...!

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
If you have 3,000 lbs. distributed over 12 square feet, that gives you 250 lbs. per square foot. That's a lot. You will need to check with local building codes to see what the requirement is (because it's likely that's what your house was designed to handle). Age of the house and specific blueprints would also be good things to have handy, just in case anything in your house is "non-standard". Any local architect would be able to give you a referral to a structural engineer; they have to work together to get just about all housing designs approved.

Personally, I keep all my tanks on the ground level, on a concrete slab. Better safe than looking at a 12 square foot hole in the floor.

Remember the immortal words of Ogden Nash:

"Some primal termite knocked on wood,
and tasted it, and found it good.
And that is why your cousin May
fell through the parlor floor today."

or the even more immortal words of Ogden Gnash:

"The sschnurg beast is a clever chap,
he's got some brains, he ain't no sap.
Then why is it he ain't so great?
Surely we don't underrate
his latent talent to create.
That is proved beyond debate.