What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
IMO there are plenty of natural fish out there that we dont need to invent new ones. I really dont like the idea of toying with nature. Sure this is a great way to experament with altering genes to cure diseases in humans in the future, but I dont think human nature is responsible enough to keep this scientific. Soon people will be altering genes for cosmetic reasons. That may sound off topic but this fish really stemmed from genetic altering experaments. Not something I personally feel is a good idea. Like with many hybred cichlids, this can be a great way to destroy the availability of pure bred species.

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
sumthin fishy said:
IMO there are plenty of natural fish out there that we dont need to invent new ones.
Like with many hybred cichlids, this can be a great way to destroy the availability of pure bred species.
Even though my favorite fish happens to be a hybrid, I don't fully disagree with the idea that there are plenty of fish out there, etc. But I kind of draw a line of distinction between those bred for the aquarium and those that are to be released into the wild.

I doubt that the hybrid Cichlids will ever have an impact on the availability of the pure strains. For one thing, most hybrids don't breed true, if they breed at all.

Then there is the question of how all these different species and breeds within a genus came to be in the first place. Most were no doubt genetic mutations, but I suspect that there was some cross breeding going on as well.

Cross breeding and manipulation have been going on for along time. Cows are a perfect example. And of course Mules too. And there is the age-old question, "So when did wild Poodles roam the Earth?"

In the end, it all comes down to personal choice. I like BP's. Some people don't. That's cool.

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
I wonder who caries the fish in sask, I wana get hooked up, Id start another tank just for them :(, Ill check walmart, maybe moosejaw/regina will have them..... I wonder when i am going out ther :(...

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
fishisme said:
I wonder who caries the fish in sask, I wana get hooked up, Id start another tank just for them :(, Ill check walmart, maybe moosejaw/regina will have them..... I wonder when i am going out ther :(...
the only place i have seen them is a place in richmond VA,BTW,what free services do you offer?

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I have no problem with them, they were created to test pollution (or was it temp....) in certain ecosystems, so I guess they were for a good cause.

I wouldn't buy them though, I don't find them attractive.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
how many danios need to be kept together to sort out agression?
not trying to hijack the thread ;)

DebA

AC Members
Oct 7, 2006
Some WalMart stores are carrying them now.

The fish are not harmed in any way. :)

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
Recombinant gentic is way of the future. Creationn of glowfish using danios genomes is only small part of the bigger picture. These research will someday help radicate diseases and help get rid of famine.

Rohn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store