What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jules73

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
If I'm honest then yes I would probably have gone out and bought some glofish just because they're different and look pretty. However, having read an article in Practicle Fishkeeping I'm not so sure about it now, plus the sale of Glofish is banned in the UK.
It was also apparently reported in the media that these fish are sterile yet a man has been successful in crossing his GloFish with other aquarium strains of the Zebra danio (Crossing with short-fin spotted, long-fin gold, short-fin zebra, long-fin zebra, short-fin gold, and long-fin blue have all produced red and green glowing offspring)

Here's the link to the article if anyones interested (hope it works)

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=119

Apr 11, 2006
Eatonton,GA
DebA said:
Some WalMart stores are carrying them now.

The fish are not harmed in any way. :)

I got mine from Walmart several months ago - they are doing great and I enjoy watching them... they sure are fast lol

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
Crossbreeding creates sterile offspring but not through DNA alterations.
Crossbreeding is when 2 difference species of the genus is are breed, creating an new species. When this is done, the offspring are usually sterile. But if the DNA/genome of species is altered through genetic mutation, then the resulting species retain the ability to breed.
This is the difference between glofish and the FW parrot fish.

Rohn

kmgriff72

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
I think they are neat and I am planning on putting some in my tank. I have seen them at Walmart and Petland. I am trying to get PetSmart to start to carry them.

Defiant1

AC Members
Oct 15, 2006
I think they look really bold and would make an interesting addition to the tank.

I can't really be against the fact that they're genetically altered "Frankenfish." So many popular fish have been altered by humans through selective breeding including:

- goldfish (have you seen the freak show that is the bubble-eye?)
- angelfish
- discus
- bettas
- blue gouramis
- tiger barbs
- all of the common livebearers

Yet no one complains about these. Fancy goldfish for example are usually much more delicate and prone to various conditions but nobody bans their sale. If these glofish are just as healthy and robust as regular zebra danios, then I think it's just fine.

Yukina

yaoi, bjd and fish lover!
Oct 15, 2006
Pueto Rico
I think I saw them in the petshop of Plaza and they have reds and greens...I couldn't read what type of fish they were because I was kinda in a hurry but I think they are the same glow zebra fish @.@
they look cool and I think it would be fun to watch them swim around at night. = )

dizzykylie

AC Members
Oct 20, 2006
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I bought 2 pink glo-fish when I first started stocking my tank. I had no idea that they were genetically altered until I looked them up and found that they take the color gene from an anenome and inject it into the danio embryo.

I don't like the idea of messing with mother nature either. But I already bought them, and it wasn't their fault they were created that way...so I kept them and they look pretty cool. Friday at the local pet store they had just sold out of Green glo-fish and had a couple orange ones left. I didn't buy any.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
oh man, oh man!! special red and green Christmas danios! just watch, this is going to be like people buying bunnies and chicks at Easter and forgetting that they grow up to be noisy roosters and nasty scratchy rabbits. danios don't live in fishbowls, even the shiny nightlight ones. . .

forcebender

Registered Member
Aug 17, 2006
Green, Yellow and Red Glofish are now available

I've seen all three in stores now, and I really dig the green and red combination myself. I hear that the green and yellow ones are hard to come by as the suppliers don't yet have a big supply to draw upon for the demand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store