White Patch on Blue Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
My tang pretty much took it from the getgo, but it doesnt have to be clipped. It can be rubber banded down to a rock as well which is what a lot of people do. As grins said formula 2 is also a good alternative.

Niko- HITH (HLLE) was the only thing that came to mind to me when i see white spots on the head of the tang, i understand that the finnage looks ok, but what else would cause the white color? Surely it must be some health issue correct?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
HLLE wouldn't show up overnight like that. It isn't uncommon for these fish to suddenly have odd color changes in a given spot. My old one would occasionally have a white spot the size of a dime on on side of its body--it would literally disappear anywhere from a few hours later to the next day. In your case, it could have scuffed up the scales in the vicinity (highly probable given this species' behavior). From the picture, it doesn't look like any sort of infection, either--so for now, I would just observe it and stay calm. I don't think it will be any real issue.

BTW, this species really isn't that dependent upon algae and greens. Giving them too much may not help, actually. They are largely planktivores in the wild and would benefit from good, meaty, proteinaceous fare, like mysids in the aquarium. However, algae and green matter should still be provided--it just shouldn't take precedence as it does in other species.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
tht is true, the paracanthurus is actually a zooplanktivore in the wild, but it is not as easy to provide natural foods of this type for a larger fish in a home aquarium. But i do believe that like other fish in its family, it should be fed primarily greens, as well as some occasional meaty portions....correct?

Edit: At least i believe it is zooplantivore correct? Sorry for repeating what amphiron just said, i didnt read his hole post before i posted =/.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yes, a zooplanktivore specifically, which is why foods like mysids, cyclops, daphnia, etc. make good substitues.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Niko- HITH (HLLE) was the only thing that came to mind to me when i see white spots on the head of the tang, i understand that the finnage looks ok, but what else would cause the white color? Surely it must be some health issue correct?
It does happen a lot in my experience aswell with patches just showing, and it does not have to point to a health issue, its in the nature of this fish, and they can go patchy simply by being stressed.

sosgal721

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
The color yesterday on the nose was a lot better, more faded, but it had two more spots on one of it's sides. The spots on it's side might have come from stress because the night before I was scrubbing and cleaning the aquarium in my constant fight to get rid if cyano bacteria, and I accidentally bumped it's rock that it likes to hide under.
Now today the spot on the nose is basically gone, and the spots on its side are faded. I have seen it pick on the nori that I put in there though (yay!).
But who knows if it was because I fed it more greens or if it just became less unstressed, when I initially saw the spot I thought that it had something to do with it liking to squeeze in sideways between two rocks, in which he barely fits.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It could have been either one. "Scuffs" usually disappear in a day or so, as do the little discolorations. They can develop those little strange spots as easily as walking up to the tank too quickly and spooking them. They can also, as I said before, easily scrape themselves--usually without any problem

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store