White Patch on Blue Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
Glad to hear it =).

sosgal721

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
So, it's happening again, except this time it's a lot worse, and getting worse... and it doesn't look like he is scratched up or anything, I just hope it isn't HILLE or anything else of the sort (which is why I am posting the pictures)...

IMG_1935 [640x480].JPG IMG_1937 [640x480].JPG IMG_1944 [640x480].JPG IMG_1953 [640x480].JPG IMG_1946 [640x480].JPG

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Did the colours go back to how they should be before this happening again? and its certainly worst than before, again, i dont think its HLLE as there still does not seem to be any receding of the fish's body or fins..

Niko

sosgal721

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
If anyone should be upset it should be the damsel, I have seen the tang chase it around every once in a while (not all the time though). For the most part the damsel minds it's own business. The tang doesn't seem to be able to fit in it's normal hiding spot anymore, so it has found a new one.. I suppose it could be stressed out from that.
And yes, the colors went back to normal before it started happening again. It looks even worse today =(

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Something has to be stressing it out badly for the ammount of white that is now apparent, and after reviewing your stocking, the damsel does stand out to me to be the contender as they others are peacfull fish.

Just an observation

Niko

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
It sounds like a stress issue to me. If not the damsel (which is my first bet) then maybe your skunks are tying to clean it and your tang doesn't appreciate it. Here's a link to WWM if you scroll down to near the bottom it sounds like a few cases similar to yours. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracdisfaq4.htm

sosgal721

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Fort Mill, SC
My damsel is surprisingly the nicest and calmest fish out of all of them...even though there is no apparent aggression from damsel to tang, but there is obvious aggression from tang to damsel, do you guys think that the tang is this stressed out because of the damsel's presence, even though the tank (with the damsel) has been set up for a few months now?
@ catpicklesdog : My tang sits and waits near where the skunks hang out and almost urges the skunks to clean it.Thanks for the link btw.
If the damsel is the problem, then I can move it, I currently have a 5.5G, but I think that it needs more room to swim (don't you guys think?)... I have a 10G, but have fish QTing in it right now, so that will just have to wait.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Try writing the guys at WWM and sending them the photo, let them know it was there before and went away and now is worse. Tell them the tank specs, stocking, and all water parameters with specific numbers. I do think it is stress related but better to get another seasoned opinion I'd think. Oh and please keep us updated.

stashmoney82

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
cleveland
tangs iv had get spooked easily. especially hippos in my experiences. looks to my me like a stress issue. there color or spots come and go frequently. imo hippos are the most sensitive. so if it comes and goes i personally wouldnt worry, just try to give them a healthy diet and keep stress low.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store