Worst marine dry good purchase you've made would have to be...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emonemo420

Word
Jun 30, 2007
dover afb
www.myspace.com
didnt buy em thanks to the amazing guy (not in a *** way) at the register i almost bout the cheap 30 dollar water filter and some 20 dollar skimmer...that fish place is an amazing store!!!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I haven;t bought that much bad stuff. I am less than pleased with my Coralife super skimmer, i think 4 or 5 times now it has drained my sump onto the living room floor for some reason or another. I changed it from running in HOB mode to in-the-sump-completely mode so next time it overflows all over the place it just spills back into the sump. As far as random stuff that just sits in the corner...I have boxes of spare pump/powerhead parts, plumbing fittings, airline connections and gang valves, UG filter parts, heaters, poer filter parts, just stuff that has accumulated since i never throw anything away. I guess most of that stuff could potentially be useful at some point though.

Oh yeah my CF lights....they work but are SO FREAKIN HOT. I would have gone T5 if I had known better the first time around.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
How much did you have to mod it Jo?
All I did was cut off the return spout to keep the splashing noise down. That and I run it at the bottom of the sump (20L) so there is a bit of pressure on the pump. It skims so thick half the time it builds up in the collection neck before making it to the cup. I clean the cup once a week and every week it looks turd brown and dry.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
1. Odyssea Skimmer - I know I know... It's same company as Jebo, and it was back when I first got into the hobby. It basically cracked and leaked everywhere.

2. Top-fin heater - It came with those "beginner start-up" package. The darn thing kept the water at 84 degrees regardless of where the knob was set.

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Just got a refractometer in the mail today... So I'm gunna throw my deep-6 hydrometer in the pot. The Deep-6 says between 1.022 and 1.023- the refractometer shows me a consistent 1.026! Being that we're looking for such a small range of SG, that seems like a pretty big discrepancy!

I gotta agree with the top-fin heater too. I got one free from a buddy that's being used on the QT. It works, but if it isn't a pain in the you-know-what to get the temp set...

(I like my super skimmer)

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
i would say all swing arm hydrometers. i have many and they all read different... i just got a refractometer and don't know how i lived with out it. my sg was at 1.021 and i never knew it. also i will throw in fission nano skimmer.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Ugh, probably Marc Weiss' Coral Vital when I first started out. A complete waste of money (not to mention I was sold on it by the same LFS I work at now :headshake2: .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store