Worst marine dry good purchase you've made would have to be...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
My first tank a 45g acrylic, which was a second hand (craig's list) purchase. Had scratches in it and the "owner" said that I could get them out. Not when they are deep enough for your nail to go into. Live and learn. I really liked the tank though.

djmajor

Gone Wild
Sep 15, 2007
North Carolina
:lipssealedsmilie: Getting the entire reef tank installed while out of town, and after the cycle added critters. lol, saw Niagra Falls. Turbo wandered into the overflow up the tube. Covered with a very thick rigid filter media now. Learning more here on the site and thanks.

vhx5438

AC Members
Oct 13, 2006
Hydro heater---- over heated will not go below 90F, trash
seaclone skimmer---are you kidding me? who can stand that noise?
marineland bio wheel filter---I have 3 of them none of them are quiet enough, not the water splashing noise, it's the motor vibration.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
a power sweep power head, useless, useless, useless...
Two more votes, I bought two of them when first starting out. Didn't move much water, stopped sweeping after a couple of months, and they both blew up shortly after.

I guess I could also throw in that $40 bag of "live sand" that had been sitting on the shelf of the LFS for six months. Not sure why I bought into that.

I'm sure my hydrometer will find a home in this thread when I eventually break down and buy a refractometer.

FishPassion

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa Canada
2x55watt JEBO power compact fixture no fans almost hot enough to fry eggs on. I only use halides now Im not sure why everyone used to start with PC lighting.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
All online purchases:

I bought an Excaliber skimmer. What a mess. Always overflowed.
Then I bought a Skilter. What a claptrap of noise. Useless.
Then I bought a Berlin HOT skimmer. What a loser. Anemic at best.
Then there was the inexpensive actinic pc's. They were just blue tinted lights.
Then there was the ato diy. What a mess. Float switch failed and backup float valve failed. At the same time.
Then the peppermint shrimps. They were microscopic and I'm sure fed something in my tank.
Then there was the 10kk mh bulb that was really a 65k greenie
Then there was the 14kk mh bulb that was so blue it looked like an 03
2 powersweeps that stopped sweeping almost immediately. Junk.
Rio 3100 that needed to be hit with a hammer to re-start after a power off
There's more, but I can't go on. Too depressing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store