Worst thing you've ever done to your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Worst I ever did was about 6 months ago... I was cleaning out my tank, pulled out all of the decorations out and dumped them into an empty sink. I cleaned out the tank, and than about a half hours later when I went to clean the decorations, I found one of my poor little African Dwarf Frogs buried under the decor, no water in the sink. I guess I forgot to check inside the cave my frogs like to hide in when I pulled everything out.. and he was still inside!!! OOPS!

Thankfully, he was fine, I got him back into the tank really quick and he's still around today. I am just amazed that when I dumped the bucked of decor in the sink he did not get squashed!

RMorrow

nigrofasciata
May 26, 2010
When I was a kid (about 30 years ago), I had some aquatic salamanders in a 20g. When it was time to do a large water change I pulled the old "hang on the back" heater out of the tank and set it on the towel next to the tank while I went to get buckets and hoses. I forgot to unplug the heater and I returned to a room full of smoke, a charred towel, and a very upset mother. The salamanders survived, the towel and heater did not, and my backside was in critical condition for the better part of the day.

Kerry121774

AC Members
Mar 2, 2010
RI
The worst thing I ever did to my fish was just last week......RI had a heat wave and it never occured to me that it would affect my fish! I lost MANY fish last week due to ignorance on my part! I had wondered why anyone would ever need a tank cooler and now I know! Horrendous loss....

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
hmmm. The worst and stupidest thing i ever did to my poor fish was when i was a kid. Most of my fish were from ther wild, and once i put a small snapper in the main tank, thinking it would look cool. Never again... lost almost half the fish overnight, only the biggest and fastest survived. I also once tipped over my fishtank onto tthe floor, saved the fish by putting them ina bucket... and then forgetting to purify their water... fail. Saved the goldies though :D

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Worst thing I've done was to leave the door open to my room with a 2 year old roaming around. Did I mention he's in the phase where he likes to fill anything resembling a container with his toys?

Sorry fish :(

Roice the betta

AC Members
Jul 11, 2010
the worst is when i put my 1st betta(i have another one now)in my big fish tank.these were my fish
2 goldfish
3 tiger barbs
1 silver shark
1 hi fin pangasius shark
7 tetras.
2 koi
1 kissing gourami
anyways as i ate my food later in the night my mother sudenly said"look what is that in the white kois mouth?"
i looked and said "betta"
my sister said"did that fish eat your betta?"
i said"koi it ate my betta(i always say koi when i am upset about something)"
i put the net in scared the koi and made it drop the betta out of its mouth and removed the betta.i thought it might be alive but the fish was dead.
it was not my idea it was my sisters shes older than me and was the cause of the loss of my fish.well here comes the embarrasing part.continue reading
well then err... i cried a long time and did not care what anyone said.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
When I was 4, I got my first betta fish! my mom took my brother and I down the LFS to pick out everything we needed! As we arrived, I immediately was intreaged by the saltwater fish! and I said, "Mommy that betta!" (at that time I thought all fish were betta) But she said no, and pointing the real "betta" out to me. I picked the typical red and green bi-color veiltail, while my brother picked a stunning deap blue color veiltail. I was soooo jealous! But It was too late, and my fishy was already bagged up, waiting at the counter. We got home and we set out bettas up in there tiny tanks, simular to beanie-baby containers. On the second day of having him, I decided he might want to "play", so I would take him out of his tank, put him in my hand, and onto the desk. And just so he wouldn't die, I would splash water onto him (ahhh how horrible!). This continued for weeks but that fish lived. Then suddenly (to me at the time) he didn't live after "playtime". I was soooo mad, I was fuming! My evil older brother laughed at me. So what did I do? I took him betta that night and flushed it down the toilet! I swear I was just as evil that night. And he woke up to an empty betta tank. I never got caught :evil_lol:. But about 3 or 4 years ago, we got onto the topic of betta fish and my brother brought up his "dissapearing betta". Then I told him what I did. . . Needless to say, he was not happy. So we went back to that same LFS that day and we each got another betta each, and we kept them locked-up in our rooms, so neither of us to get eachothers.

When I was 7 or 8, my mom had just left to go into her work for 4 hours. my older brother was in his room, playing games. and what happens, a guppy has babies. my breeder net broke so i had no where to put the babies, so i scopped em out in a cup and put them in a tupperware container, on the side of the stand. My kitty came to investigate and BAM! 65 or so guppy fry plattered all over the floor. Im thinking to myself, OH GOD! I didn't wanna get my brother because I knew he was just going to call me an idiot, punch a time or two and go into his room (lovely brother relationships huh). SO i started, one by one, picking the little baby fish out of the carpet with my little fingers back into the tupperware container. after 2 hours, i just gave up on the little buggers, I probably only got about half of them, so I dragged out the vacuum and sucked em up. My mom came home early, to find me vacuuming around the tank. She didn't even ask. Neadless to say, after my efforts, none of the fry lived. Most were dead by the time I got to them. I think my experience has gone up since then ;)

3 years ago, I had went on vacation and my grandmother said she would stop by and feed my fish. At that age, I was reaalllyyyyy getting into fish and my step-mom was a big part of that, and she taught me a lot of what I have learned today. Anyway, as a gift, she ordered me 20 pure endlers from florida and I was stoked! I got them in a week before vacation and they were all doing A-OK. As time passed, we returned from vacation, and the first thing i did was i went to my fish! What do I find! A 10g tank, with 3'' of water in it, it was about 115 F and there were dry up endlers stuck on the glass! I screamed!!!!! I called up my grandma who told me everything was ok with them thing morning, she just thought that the tank felt a little warm and the fish, she just couldn't see them! It turns out we had a cold-spell and she turned the heater up all the way to keep them warm and well, it boiled. They were all dead. Let's just say, Grandma doesn't watch the fish anymore.

And I think that's all of them!

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
The first two stories were my fault, and the last was my dad's.

One time I took the sponge off my AC30 and three of my Ember Tetras got sucked into the filter. Poor little guys were all torn up and barely breathing when I found them. They died minutes later in the Bowl of Doom (toilet).

I've subjected many of my tanks to weeks without water changes, the longest being a little over a month.

My dad once left three of my fish in a 19 degree house. He told me they were fine, but obviously they weren't.

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
If we're counting water changes in this... The bucket and siphon thing has always been too much work for me. Historically, my fish been lucky if they got water changes twice a year. :shakehead: And I just cleaned the C-220 on my 20XT in my office for the first time since November of 2008. :crazy: (now y'all know why I run oversized canister filters :lol2: )

Fortunately (for them), my tanks are now close enough to the sink to make a python a viable option. So I bought one a few weeks ago. Much easier to deal with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store