Worst thing you've ever done to your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
The worst thing I have ever done was adopt free fish that I had no idea about where they came from or any info on them. I adopted a bunch of plain guppies from petco, about 15 adults and 30 fry. I put them into my 10 gall, moved the adults and bigger fry to my 55 gall. I started to see big white patches and tails falling apart. I immediately went and got Pimafix and Melafix thinking that would cure it. I was losing 5 to 6 fish including fry every day. My original fancy guppies started having the tail rot as well. I got Coppersafe and Maracyn oxy which cured it after three treatments but I lost 90% of my fish, both adopted and my original.

Second thing, I first started this hobby with bettas. The first water change I ever made I was told to use warm water. Well, I used warm water and nearly killed my bettas. Woops!

Third thing, I bought mollies and did not know how much they bred. I ended up with 5 females that were pregnant, and about 100 fry. I had to buy new tanks to hold all the fish and ended up just giving them away. I couldn't handle the uncontrolled breeding. I am much much more careful with my guppies. I have a 55 gall male only tank, a 10 gall for females and fry and a 10 gall hospital tank that can also be used as a backup regular tank.

Fourth thing, I did not change my water in my molly tank for 2 months. :(, :)

I have made a lot of mistakes.... good thing I know better now, and I do so much more research!!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Once upon a time, I kept an oscar in a 29g till he was about 8 inches, before I rehomed it to a nice person with a much larger setup.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Well, I'd have to say the WORST thing I ever did was.....buy them in the first place!!! This is in regards to the first tank I set up!! DO NOT listen to the LFS about what is ok to go together, in a 29g tank!! Bala Sharks, Irredisent and Columbian sharks along with a red tailed shark DO NOT belong together in a 29g tank, hmmm if I remember correctly I think Ihad a blue gourami in there also!!!! Hence the reason I found AC, so it wasn't all bad!!

sepehr

AC Members
Jul 5, 2010
I was 12 and I got my first tank (29 gallons). The next morning I washed the gravel and poured in the water from the backyard hose. Immediately right after that I went to my local wal-mart and bought about 15 fish from mollies, guppies, angels, cardinals, tiger barbs, sharks to goldfish and put them all in the tank without even leaving them in their plastic bags for one minute. Im not gonna get into the filter and the decoration.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Okay, I lied. I did more stuff to my fish than just skip a water change.

I used to keep a betta in a bowl as a "Betta Jail" because he ate all my Neons. I found a friend who would take him and had a 3gallon setup. I go over the sink to put the betta in a ziploc bag since my friend wanted him. He jumps out of the bowl into the sink. I felt so bad.

Another time I kept 2 bettas in a 2.5G tank (divided). I don't think that's too bad since there was a heater a filter. A disease spread to both of them that I didn't realize. I think it was velvet and I couldn't see them.

guppy226

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hamilton, OH
Mine was with my first tank, When i was about 8. It was a one gallon, with three Guppys in it. One of them was a female and ended up having about 20 fry. I raised them all in it untill they were about a half inch long.... Then i got a 10g... Better, but still over crowded.

Another one was with one of my 75 gallons about 6 months ago. I left the hood off for some reason, and my cat got hungry and tryed to go fishing. He fell in some how. But the next thing i know a soaking wet cat went flying by me getting everything soaked. I went and looked at my tank and all my discus and angels were all under a log and tons of my plants were up rooted...

I also had a swordtail jump out of a tank... Not really my fault, but i found a crispy goldfish about a week later :D

flyingpenguin

AC Members
Jul 5, 2010
I was about 14 and doing a full cleaning of my 10g, I didn't check my decoration, until I put it over the sink, while my Khuli loach fell out of his cave and went down the drain. My Dad quickly took apart the u part of the drain and there was my Khuli loach,and he was one tuff fish because after that about a year later my second incident happened where my heater malfunctioned while I was sleeping and I woke up to cooked guppies. I ran cold water over the tank and the only survivor was my Kuhli loach again, the rest of the fish were cooked. Well that was about the worst of it, and that Khuli loach lived for two years after these mishaps..I will always remember that fish ;)

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Sealed a 135 gallon tank seal held until it was filled all the way, than we had 135 gallon on water pouring out on the first floor draining through the drywall ceiling into the basement, hum it is raining inside oops, safe to say the 90 gallon set outside for a week before I set it up inside just to be safe.

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
Many years ago I had a small fish shop in my garage. My 4 year old locked herself in and I watched as she scooped the new, expensive fish out of the tank and put them in her bucket. The only key was sitting on the counter inside the shop. It took 30 minutes to get the door unlocked. She had NO water in the bucket. When I asked her why she took the fish out of the tank she said she wanted to take them for a walk. Instead of a walk, we had a funeral.

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
I know what you mean. About two weeks ago Western NY was running at 95 degrees outside. I don't have an air conditioner so it was about 100-105 in the house. I noticed my angels were acting strange. To my surprise, the aquarium temp had reached 97 degrees!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store