Worst thing you've ever done to your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

I <3 my fish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I listened to the lfs. My first Betta (I got from walmart) was in a 1 gal typical "goldfish bowl". I was told I didn't need a filter or heater (even though it was the middle of winter), I did buy a thermometer though (which showed 78 degrees for water, my house had always been warm), along with the betta fix, betta food, and all the other things to make tap water safe, and even some bloodworms. I waited before putting the betta in the bowl, floating him and all that. He was a beautiful red veiltail, the most vibrant I'd ever seen. Anyway, a day or so after I got him I went to my boyfriend's for the weekend (I was in highschool, so it was more so sleeping in different rooms, lol.), and my brother said he would take care of my fish (he had a betta too, so he knew what he was doing). I would call home to check on my fish, making sure he had been fed, and I was always told everything was fine. I got home that weekend (a whole two days later, imagine!) to find a white rotted dead fish with no fins and half decayed. I'm assuming he got fin rot or something, but ever since then I've never had a red betta! (with the acception of stardust, my current female, but she's more white with pink and red...
)

I <3 my fish

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think I killed the thread >.<

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
no you didn't, people just can't bring themselves to say the worse they did... :D

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
About 6 months ago I pulled all of the driftwood out of my 75g to rearrange it. Didn't realize my male BN was inside a piece of driftwood til I saw him flopping around on the porch. He wasn't very happy with me, but I managed to scoop him up and he's doing fine. Also lost a nerite that way, though he dropped off the driftwood onto the concrete and broke his shell. I put him in a hospital tank hoping he'd recover (was just a small chip) but he didn't. Now I shake the driftwood to get any critters loose before it leaves the tank.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
When I was a kid, for many years, I kept the same two goldfish in a 1 gallon bowl. Most people didn't know better back then. Looking back, I'm amazed at how long they lived and how healthy they seemed to be... I still love goldfish but now mine enjoy real aquariums with tons of filtration. Can't imgaine putting them in a fish bowl.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The doctors still won't let me discuss the worst thing I ever did to my fish...

...but I'm feeling much better now.

Mark

MankatoMn

AC Members
Jun 29, 2010
I've never mistaken my tanks for a urinal after a few too many, but after a night out on the town I must have bumped against a planted 10 gal. that I used as a grow out tank for my molly fry. Woke up the next morning with the tank and stand leaning against a nearby wall, about half empty. A surprising number survived in the soaked pile of clothes and towels that they spilled into. As a reward I placed them into the breeding tank so they could enjoy the rest of their days.
Then there's always the occasional sucking up the ADF in a siphon, finding a fish you thought you'd gotten out of the net a couple hours later, and first starting out and thinking that the Nitrogen Cycle is an expensive 10 speed.
I'm pretty sure we all have the feeling that if there was some sort of fishkeeping court we'd all be seen as the Piscine Milosevic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store