Would you feel safe putting a 40g breeder on an upper floor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
Well, I do find merit in that article, however a tank falling through a floor has never been my concern. A bigger concern is settling and maybe damaging hte tank. A constant weight in one location causes settling over time if it's not supported properly. When I set up my 55g, running parallel to my joists, simply walking by, 5 feet away, would cause the tank to shake. Until I went under the house and supported the joists. When I setup my 150g (also parallel to the joists) I made sure to run supports under the joists, and run spanning joists to distribute the weight among more joists. Even with that said, there has been a little bit of settling in one corner. The corner furthest from the exterior wall, and furthest from the supporting beam that runs under the house and supports the joists. I'm not trying to start a war here. and I'm not saying badmans article is 100% acurate. I'm jsut saying that a constantly fluctuating weight is different than a static weight and the idea that my 350lb dad can sit on my couch for an evening means my tank will be fine, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

x916krew

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
California
think of it as any other piece of large furniture.. are you concerned about your dresser or entertainment centers upstairs?

Mexican Racoon

Se?or Member
Mar 13, 2005
Memphis, TN
Never seen a second floor tank question last this long. I suppose this isn't helping the post count though.

Also, as someone mentioned, even if you aren't worried about the weight, you might want to do some ripple tests with a bucket of water to see how much of your feetsteps vibrations is transferring across the floor (like Jurassic Park, yo). I suppose this could be a concern in any house with a conventional foundation, regardless of the floor.

If only that Nolapete million gallon tank were on the second floor, then we'd have a thread...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store