WTH are these 2 snails doing!? Killing each other?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dafferspup

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
Royal Oak, Michigan
What about what does not get eaten and just floats around and away in the tank? Will the calcium still help even if not all is consumed? I am talking about the smaller portions that fly off when a pleco runs into it, or I move it away from the Pleco.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
What about what does not get eaten and just floats around and away in the tank? Will the calcium still help even if not all is consumed? I am talking about the smaller portions that fly off when a pleco runs into it, or I move it away from the Pleco.
Remove the uneaten portion after 15 minutes if none is touching it. Fish will eat the snail jello so it's not an issue. My plecos and guppies absolutely love snail jello.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
The really tiny pieces (like speck size) shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially since they will likely eat those too. I cut mine into chunks between 1/4" cubes and 1/2" cubes and I only drop 1 or 2 in about 2-3 times per week.

I have a 20g long with cherry shrimp, pond snails, common ramshorns, and a few MTS. It's pretty well loaded with inverts, but I also like to give other foods in between. All seem to love the jello, though. It's rare that I have any left when I check it about 8-10 hours later. I made mine with about twice the amount of calcium as one of my baby foods had a less than optimal amount and I wanted to help recover from any calcium loss before I had proper foods. They were mainly getting algae wafers before hand with only minimal veggies.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I have a recipe for snail jello that really works for every fish, snail and bottom feeder.
I add flake, spirolina pellets, bottom feeder shrimp pellets and spirolina flake, shrimp flake, and brine shrimp flake. the pellets stick out so that when the fish start to go after it the tiny specks that are released are eaten from the baby fish, the bottom feeders jump on the band wagon, and all the snails come running. its a freaking feeding frenzy LOL! I use 1 small jar of mixed vegtable, and 1 small jar of sweet potatoes.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I drop 2 pieces into my tanks, and I have not left in 2 hours or less. (Im talking shark feeding frenzy LOL!

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I just have one last question....how often do I feed this to the snails?
I do mine daily, because it goes so fast, and because everything in my tank eats it they all get a balanced diet every day. I do 2 weekly water changes and my tank and plants and fish are super healthy.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
I put calcium pills, algae waffers, any flake food I may have, cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets, betta pellets, garlic, any kinds of herbs I find in my kitchen (oregano, bay leaves, spearmint, parsley, etc.) with the gelatin and either vegetable medley or fruit (banana, apple, strawberry) baby food. :D They seem to love the garlic. They flock to it much quicker than before I added garlic...

dafferspup

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
Royal Oak, Michigan
I put calcium pills, algae waffers, any flake food I may have, cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets, betta pellets, garlic, any kinds of herbs I find in my kitchen (oregano, bay leaves, spearmint, parsley, etc.) with the gelatin and either vegetable medley or fruit (banana, apple, strawberry) baby food. :D They seem to love the garlic. They flock to it much quicker than before I added garlic...
How do you add the garlic? As in salt? Chopped? Minced? A whole clove? And what brand of calcium pills? I don't think they like my Green Bean medley as much as they might like the fruit medley. LOL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store