Your Experience with Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How long did your Dwarf Gourami Live?

• Died within the first week

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Died within the first month

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Died within the first six months

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Died within the first year

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Was still going strong after a year

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Colisa lalia (first letter is L) is the dwarf gourami.

You'll find that the ones people have trouble keeping alive are the excessively inbred and overbred color morphs like flame, neon, etc.

I personally find those to be hideous and the original wild/normal form to be far prettier. They aren't anywhere as difficult to keep as the fancy color morphs.

ExtraHannah

Learning as fast as I can!
Dec 6, 2009
Central NC
Again, I really appreciate all the input guys. And thanks for the name correction Pete! It would also be interesting to hear if the original color fish are the one's that people have had better luck with.

So far, from the poll, it looks like if you have one hardy enough to make it the first month, you've got a fairly good chance of a healthy fish, long term. Good to know!

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
I bought 10 from aquabid with intentions to breed. All developed some sort of disease after the first week and died within a month. No positive diagnosis but I was treating them with tons of different chemicals, nothing worked.

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
My first one was a honey gourami, which I've had since august 2009 and just died recently. After that one I bought a blue dwarf gourami (in august 2009 as well) and that one died within a week. I couldn't return it though because I couldn't find the body and found it a couple more weeks later! My third gourami is a golden honey gourami that I bought in September and It's still alive and doing very well. The first two I bought from the same source, and the third I bought from a different source.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I would only buy DG's from a private breeder or from a very dependable supplier. Otherwise, steer clear.

ferrettim

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Columbia, SC
i've had mine in for several months without any issues. My pair of blue dwarf gouramis chase each other around sometimes (not as much since the latest rescape) but no disease or signs of it. I originally had a gold gourami in the tank that I purchased from my LFS and he only lasted about a month. The BDG's I got at Petsmart. All other tank inhabitants are from my LFS.

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
I bought my DG about 6 months ago from a very reputable LFS (The Wet Spot) and haven't had any issues.

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
I bought mine from a breeder on aquabid, and none lived. :(

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
I have 2 gouramis in my tank (a red dwarf and Opaline)
the red dwarf started out shy/timid and hid at the back of the tank out if sight
now its swims about fine just sometimes rests at the bottom for a while
I agree hiomwbred ones would be much healthier

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store