Your Experience with Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How long did your Dwarf Gourami Live?

• Died within the first week

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Died within the first month

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Died within the first six months

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Died within the first year

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Was still going strong after a year

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I bought a pretty powder blue variety and he developed ich after a few days. Despite treatment the ich seemed to just get worse and he appeared to also develop a bacterial infection. I've steered clear of them since but I do keep honey gouramis. No health problems with these guys.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
I have two in QT right now getting ready hopefully soon to go into my main 36g they are going on three weeks now so far so good crossing fingers!

ExtraHannah

Learning as fast as I can!
Dec 6, 2009
Central NC
Just want to keep this bumped up, so we continue to get votes. I really appreciate all of the input.

It seems like there may be a real niche for small breeders in US to start producing healthy dwarf gourami. I know I would pay the extra and the shipping if I could get some that I knew came from healthy, US bred stock...

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Just transferred one red coral gouramie to my 36g after a month in QT he did great now have 2 gold gouramie and another red coral gouramie in QT waiting to transfer to 36g won't be for another few weeks though. But they seem pretty hardy :).

grav

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
My two dwarfs just passed the year mark and are doing well. They were actually super shy for the first month or so but that's because I have a large blue male Gourami that rules the tank. Overall I'm really happy with mine.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I have a petsmart one I've only had about a week, but he's been colored-up, swims front and center, interacts with all the other fish constantly, and eats fine? Looks better then most photos I ever see of them, not a spot or mark on the guy. The petsmart near me keeps everything clean, has pretty good 'fish staff'(I always hear them deter bad decisions of shoppers and explain cycling).

I just picked him by lightly flashing my hand in front of the tank and got the one who came up to the glass. Water parameters are perfect and I already keep 1tbs/5gal salt in there. @78 degrees. I guess we'll see what happens??.

I'll get a pic of him tomorrow, its not hard with him coming right up to the glass when I stick my head near it.

Last edited:

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Many years ago, when all I worried about was water temp and Ph, I had a 55 community tank, very heavily planted and with U/G filters. The pair of dwarf gouramis I had were great, always active and perky. Every few months the male would shred some wisteria and make a bubble nest, then his colors would get dramatically more vibrant and he would coax the female to the nest and wrap himself around her sqeezing her eggs out and fertilizing them at the same time. He would then chase her away and pick the eggs up one by one and blow them into the nest.

This cycle of bringing the female to the nest and breeding would be repeated three or four times then it would be necessary to remove the female as he would get too aggressive. He would stay at the nest maintaining it and replacing any eggs that fell out. When the fry hatched he would keep blowing them back into the nest until such a time they were free swimming then he would start eating them. I'd remove the nest and fry and raise the littl'uns in a shallow bowl.

My experience with dwarf gouramis has been excellent and I will be adding a breeding pair to my next tank...cycling as we speak....

By the way, the tank temp was 78 and ph about 6.8, water was a mellow color from tannin. Kept that pair for about three years until the heater stuck full on, boiled everything and cracked the bottom out of the tank...my wife never quite recovered from that as I was working in Japan at the time!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store