Take a look at my cold water octopus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Wow.... that almost makes me want to go salty.... I'd love to see some video, and more pictures of course!!

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
I've never seen you post a thread of your tank before! It looks great. Is the octopus the only living thing besides your sessile inverts in there?
It's illegal to take fish, alive, from the ocean, so no fish. I sometimes have a snail or some brittle stars for clean up crew. Oh, I've got a bat star, and a little red rock shrimp too. I caught my shrimp about 1/2 mile off shore, but I've seen shrimp like the one I have under the same rocks where I caught my octopus, and the shrimp seems to have no problem keeping out of the octopus's grasp (over 18 months so far). I guess the shrimp has evolved sufficient street-smarts to be able to coexist with the octopus. Most everything else would become octo food.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
thanks for sharing man, one of the coolest things ive seen on this site in a long time.. without a doubt

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
can u guess what u shouldn't do?

if your LFS has a central filtering system & you see any sick fish, dead fish (or floaters) or fish with fungus - can u guess what u shouldn't do??!!

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
Would catalina gobies become prey for the octopus? A pair would be nice in there. Can't you get a fishing license?
I think that catalina gobies would probably be easy prey for an octopus, since they like to hold still a lot, but I don't know for sure.

As for the fishing license:
California law says that if you have a fishing license you can catch fish, but even then, you can't take them home alive. The reason for the law is that they don't want people to put native a fish in their home aquarium, and then later decide to release it back in to the ocean. It would be easy for the local fish to catch an exotic parasite or disease in a tank filled with critters from all over the tropical world, and then, if released, infect the local fish population. It's a really good reason, I think, although it does limit what I can have in my tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store