58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't know, but a couple of your danios seem to have a girly figure (chubby in the case of fish). A while longer with your good care & they may be barely able to swim like my fat SF danio females.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Time for the next evolution?

Tank has been setup for 16 months, finally got some BNs just recently and is about to get the danios from QT (sat is 5 weeks in QT btw). I have sold and given away 100s of crypts during that time. Growth did stop completely for a couple months but adding ferts again is definitely helping, new baby crypts were popping up and dying instantly but are now growing. So why am I ready for a change? It seems I've gotten to a point where every crypt has spread into every other crypts zone and it's becoming chaos. The usteriana has gotten SO big that the area where the stem turns into a leaf is almost at the top of the tank lol. How the nurii is doing so well in the darkness cast from the usteriana I have no idea but it has the least die off but a mile, I can't even recall the last time I saw a dead leaf on it actually. And it grows nice and tight too which is really surprising that it is not throwing out long runners trying to get out from under the shade. Not sure what I want to do different though. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here is it's rather sad current state. I just stirred everything up pulling out dead leaves, of course!
IMG_3945.JPG IMG_3947.JPG IMG_3948.JPG

It's very hidden back there but the new bronze crypts are doing awesome and had like no melt!
IMG_3949.JPG
Sneaky balansae!
IMG_3950.JPG IMG_3951.JPG
This random stem is finally growing since the recent re addition of ferts.
IMG_3952.JPG
Just showing baby crypts coming up everywhere and every kind
IMG_3953.JPG IMG_3954.JPG

Caught my plecos sparring, of course the best stuff happened before I got the camera and it wanted to focus on the plants instead but I got some footage.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks great. Very cool red BNs too. Mail order?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks. No, I got them local @ like 1" for cheap but these 2 are covered in "freckles", 2 others aren't but they are much smaller and 1 is super tiny and super pale. 3 different tanks 3 different results, very unusual.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice fishes!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Mystery crypts popping up all over!?! Awesome! Lush Usteriana!

But those SRBNs don't look real, lol. You & your fancy LEDs make them look "super duper" red...is that on all the LED colors? Yeah, I betting not. Still, I'm happy they & your crypts look so good. Again, I like the freckles...& fat tummies!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks. No, I got them local @ like 1" for cheap but these 2 are covered in "freckles", 2 others aren't but they are much smaller and 1 is super tiny and super pale. 3 different tanks 3 different results, very unusual.
So cool.

Pretty much the same with my "standard" BNs. They were so tiny and skinny when I bought a pair for few dollars at a LFS a year or so ago. One of mine is freckly and changes color/shades and is out and about all the time. The one with all the bristles (male?) not so much. Rarely, if ever see that one. The bristly one is NASTY towards the out and about one.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Nice fishes!
Thanks Bob!

Mystery crypts popping up all over!?! Awesome! Lush Usteriana!

But those SRBNs don't look real, lol. You & your fancy LEDs make them look "super duper" red...is that on all the LED colors? Yeah, I betting not. Still, I'm happy they & your crypts look so good. Again, I like the freckles...& fat tummies!
lol Thanks Nancy! They were eating when this happened, hence the fat tummies. :cool: The lights were at dawn like (just about to ramp up) I believe so it was mostly red with a little white. Just happened to be the perfect time to show their color. :) My "fancy" LEDs are so cheap right now ($40 for 36"), I'm tempted to buy them for all my tanks but I just bought cheap LEDs for all of them so that seems unreasonable lol. But I really need to setup my shrimp tank (again) and I want a soft water planted tank..... :oops:

So cool.

Pretty much the same with my "standard" BNs. They were so tiny and skinny when I bought a pair for few dollars at a LFS a year or so ago. One of mine is freckly and changes color/shades and is out and about all the time. The one with all the bristles (male?) not so much. Rarely, if ever see that one. The bristly one is NASTY towards the out and about one.
Well, that makes me a little more hopeful that these might not both be males. I can see your bristly one being like "dude, what's wrong with you!? Being visible and active, you're giving up a bad rep!" lol None of my BNs have ever been super reclusive though except when breeding of course, it's actually how I figure out they bred.

Anyone wants some usteriana? I've gotta pull some out no matter whether I decide to rescape or not. It'll be cheap.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I know we've discussed the BN male's reddish back of the head triangle patch. On albinos L-144s you can see it easily when they grow big enough. I wonder if you can see it on red BNs or if they're too small yet.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'd think you'd be able to see it when they get bigger but nothing visible yet. Been checking for bristles and the patch.

Why is this one crypt in the shadiest spot SO happy? Another spathe!
IMG_3955.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store