What kind of shrimp do I have?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What type of shrimp are these?

• Ghost Shrimp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jme

Registered Member
Oct 22, 2018
15A54B1A-C293-4072-B7A9-D1B072C2F28A.jpeg 23086FB0-C5AA-47DC-A310-7D4577D787A4.jpeg I am new to owning shrimp, so I just wanted to start with the cheapest and see how it worked out for me. I bought 2 “ghost shrimp” they were in a tank with red shrimp and Amano Shrimp. Did I end up with two different shrimp? They look nothing alike. The one with white spots is a lot larger than the one with little dots and a light pinstripe down back.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like the top one is an amano.

But keep in mind there is a lot of variability in amano shrimp color--likely more than one species is called that.

Reactions: Jme

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Based on those pictures, I don't think either one is a ghost. The eyes on my ghost shrimp look to be relatively further apart than either of those two shrimp.

Jme

Registered Member
Oct 22, 2018
Amano shrimp are never the cheapest shrimp, but ghost shrimp are.
Yes I know. I bought 2 “ghost shrimp”, but I believe the guy working at the pet store may have scooped up a different type of shrimp.

Jme

Registered Member
Oct 22, 2018
Based on those pictures, I don't think either one is a ghost. The eyes on my ghost shrimp look to be relatively further apart than either of those two shrimp.
I wish I knew what I actually have lol. I went to the pet store and asked for two ghost shrimp which were in a tank mixed with different types of shrimp. So I only paid 47 cents for each one but I think he gave me two different kinds and I have no idea what they are. On the bright side I guess I got $5 shrimp for 47 cents lol

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I was going to vote for the 1 and 1 option, but then I realized that while I think the one in the top picture is an amano, I don't think the one in the bottom is a ghost. Can't get a good look at it in that picture.

whitewolfgroup6

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2018
I have amano shrimp and mine are huge. So I think the top looks like amano but the bottom looks like maybe an off shoot of a yellow shrimp. I just got some yellow shrimp and some goldenback yellow shrimp and it looks like what I have. But anyway 47 cents is a steal I would go back and buy all of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store