Sexing Baby Betta Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

astrobiologist

Registered Member
Feb 8, 2021
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I'm looking for opinions on the gender of this baby betta I bought. It's about an inch long right now. I see no egg spot and it's been displaying typical "male" behaviors (flaring, building bubble nests, etc.) but I know that females can do that too. I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas! In some of my other betta groups a lot of people said female simply because of the short fins but on a baby wouldn't all fins be short? Not new to bettas by any means haha, just new to the young ones.
20210206_143836~2.jpg

bickouder

AC Members
Mar 7, 2021
I'm planning on going to a local petco and buying a baby betta. But I need help determining whether this baby is a male or female. And is there a way to tell what color the betta will be by looking at the baby bettas the age that Petco sells them at. And any advice on food? I'm gonna do a 20 gallon planted tank, with some tankmates. I want my betta to be as friendly as possible, is there a right way to raise him that way?

bickouder

AC Members
Mar 7, 2021
I'm planning on going to a local petco and buying a baby betta. But I need help determining whether this baby is a male or female. And is there a way to tell what color the betta will be by looking at the baby bettas the age that Petco sells them at. And any advice Speed Test on food?
I'm gonna do a 20 gallon planted tank, with some tankmates. I want my betta to be as friendly as possible, is there a right way to raise him that way?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I'm gonna do a 20 gallon planted tank, with some tankmates. I want my betta to be as friendly as possible, is there a right way to raise him that way?
Its not possible to do so, bettas have their own traits and you cant reprogram their instincts.
I'm planning on going to a local petco and buying a baby betta. But I need help determining whether this baby is a male or female. And is there a way to tell what color the betta will be by looking at the baby bettas the age that Petco sells them at. And any advice on food? I'm gonna do a 20 gallon planted tank, with some tankmates. I want my betta to be as friendly as possible, is there a right way to raise him that way?
I have already said it in post #2.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Based on your pic I'm going to guess male. Long dorsal & anal fins say male to me. But it's very young...& that's good...unless you hope for breeding soon, I wouldn't yet...There are so many types of newer bettas I've never kept...I could be wrong

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Based on your pic I'm going to guess male. Long dorsal & anal fins say male to me. But it's very young...& that's good...unless you hope for breeding soon, I wouldn't yet...There are so many types of newer bettas I've never kept...I could be wrong
But my ‚beard’ theory should help bit more as well ?

JmBrown89

Registered Member
Mar 24, 2021
USA
kip.com.au
Real Name
James
he looks like a boy, but I think he is small enough. But, despite this, it is worth waiting a little and you will definitely find out who you have.

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store