New tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I see what looks like a curtain on the left of the picture..

Does the aquarium get any natural light?

Also, are you adding anything to the aquarium to give plants nutrition.

Algae looks like it might be diatoms, if so it should go away on its own over time once there is not enough to feed it

Water changes can help, as will increasing the number of plants you have, especially floating, rhizome or stem plants.i

Not sure I want to suggest livestock to take care of the issue, unless you are planning to add them already.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I see what looks like a curtain on the left of the picture..

Does the aquarium get any natural light?

Also, are you adding anything to the aquarium to give plants nutrition.

Algae looks like it might be diatoms, if so it should go away on its own over time once there is not enough to feed it

Water changes can help, as will increasing the number of plants you have, especially floating, rhizome or stem plants.i

Not sure I want to suggest livestock to take care of the issue, unless you are planning to add them already.
yes it next to the window, but it never gets direct sunlight

I used to dose Fluorish but every time I did so the algae would bloom even worse, so I dose only Excel but this last bottle i'm using seems to not have any effect.

I do want to add more plants, more saggitaria on the right side

also my stem plants have their stems rotting and I do not know why

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
current tank parameters: from left to right pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. gh 2 drops, kh 4 drops

P_20230429_223606.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Indirect light is still light!

It's all a question of what sort.

Flourish is only trace elements, by no means all of a plants needs. Excel is more of an algaecide rather than a source of usable carbon (derived from gluteraldehyde which is primarily used as a biocide in hospitals)

If it's just diatoms (I cannot tell) then adding a few otocinclus catfish will take care of it quickly (getting 1 or 2 isn't great for a social animal) they are fun to watch generally but you will have to feed them once the job is done.

Floating stem plants as a temporary measure will let them grow easily, and they can simply be removed at a later time.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Indirect light is still light!

It's all a question of what sort.

Flourish is only trace elements, by no means all of a plants needs. Excel is more of an algaecide rather than a source of usable carbon (derived from gluteraldehyde which is primarily used as a biocide in hospitals)

If it's just diatoms (I cannot tell) then adding a few otocinclus catfish will take care of it quickly (getting 1 or 2 isn't great for a social animal) they are fun to watch generally but you will have to feed them once the job is done.

Floating stem plants as a temporary measure will let them grow easily, and they can simply be removed at a later time.
I tried 1 week with one curtain closed (the closest to the tank) and it looked like it work because I had little growth of it this time. I still bought Seachem phosguard and add it to the filter last night. I even dosed flourish and had not that bloom of algae growth so going to keep hafl the curtain closed.

I assume it diatoms I scrub the leaves of the plants and algae comes off.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I had 3 of this plant, they outgrew the tank so I trimmed them but then they became stunted.

P_20230512_070142.jpg
P_20230512_070149.jpg

the trimmed part is growing:
P_20230512_070231.jpg

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
this used to be my swordplant before i moved it from the old tank:
P_20221210_205807.jpg

it lost the big leaves and was only growing small leaves like this:

P_20230325_192038.jpg

I assume it was nutrient deficiency + roots lost. Now it just this:
P_20230511_203337.jpg

is my swordplant dead for good or can I grow a new one from that piece?

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I do not know if this is bad or what but when I feed my fish the water becomes bubbly. it lasts only for minutes but bubbles appear every time I feed.
P_20230506_084839.jpg

Also the water is very oily and I don't know how to get rid of it:
P_20230512_083457.jpg

P_20230512_083429.jpg

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
can moss be kept dried out of water?
P_20230511_203247.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm going to guess your stunted stem plant in a hygro. angustifilia. It needs a fair amount of water column ferts & light. I've never grown it well.

Your sword...is that all you have left of it, those 2 , well, they're not rhizomes, but sort of, ahem, corms? I think it had no food it could use with maybe a bit of transplant shock. Are you using root tabs or other ferts? Swords are heavy pretty feeders...

Even java moss won't stay alive for too very long completely dried out...it's an aquatic plant! But I have had it recover from pretty dire conditions. It'll help if you can wet it or sprinkle some water on it often. Put in a jar/bowl?

The surface oil can be removed by gently laying a kitchen paper towel on it (or even newspaper) & removing it slowly. This will take several tries. How come you have oil? I don't remember, do you have fish & what are you feeding?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store