15 gallon - Southeast Asian Biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Ok, so I made a really crappy sponge prefilter with an old block of a juwel carbon sponge. The chemical properties are long gone, so it's just like another sponge, plus it's black, like my filter.

I donno about the moss though, I was thinking about a moss wall... would the moss still get everywhere even if it was stuck on the back by a mesh?

Anyway, the tank's cleared up, here's a fts:

One of the new crypts (wendtii tropica)

Kuhlis:

(I just noticed the air pockets in the substrate, gotta poke it sometime)

Last edited:

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Your tank looks good!

I love my moss rock. Cut up moss into 1" pieces, spread over rounded but flattish-top rock. Wrap with hair net & secure with plastic zip tie or string, trim extra pieces. It took a few weeks but now the moss is a few inches long - looks like wavy grass that I'm sure shrimp would appreciate. Easy to move, too.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Your tank looks good!

I love my moss rock. Cut up moss into 1" pieces, spread over rounded but flattish-top rock. Wrap with hair net & secure with plastic zip tie or string, trim extra pieces. It took a few weeks but now the moss is a few inches long - looks like wavy grass that I'm sure shrimp would appreciate. Easy to move, too.
:O A moss rock sounds like a good idea, I've got some extra pieces of slate in my 120 gallon that I might be able to use. Would the moss need trimming or will it stay low?

Very nice!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You will want to trim the moss, it gets looong if you don't. Try to get the "bits" out, whatever it gets stuck it will attach too. Some is climbing the glass in my shrimp tank.
Moss also catches debris. I try to aim either the filter return or WC refill flow at it. After it's really attached you can gently vac it. Watch the shrimp though, they love vacs.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
Yeah I was planning on getting some more rocks to put behind the driftwood on the left (empty space). As for the sand, all of the substrate is sand, except where the plants are. It's just that gravel is sprinkled over it in the front, so it doesn't look like it.

Darth Scohin

Daphnia
May 2, 2010
Mountain Basin, Near Valley
Perhaps add a black background? I love the regular Kuhlis I only seem to see the black ones

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
As for the sand, all of the substrate is sand, except where the plants are. It's just that gravel is sprinkled over it in the front, so it doesn't look like it.
I see sand under all the gravel, but there are no spots with just sand. Rocks and Gravel tend to irritate Dojo's and Khulis under side and can destroy their whiskers which is the way they find food. Dojo's and Khulis love to DIG in the sand (burrow).

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Perhaps add a black background? I love the regular Kuhlis I only seem to see the black ones
Agreed, I have 3 of the regular ones (like in the pictures) and 1 without stripes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store