15 gallon - Southeast Asian Biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
That does look like a lot of gravel they'd have to dig through to get to the sand. Might want to thin it out/remove it in some areas so they can burrow more easily. Those kuhlis are looking great, btw! Very handsome ... um, fellows?

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
I see sand under all the gravel, but there are no spots with just sand. Rocks and Gravel tend to irritate Dojo's and Khulis under side and can destroy their whiskers which is the way they find food. Dojo's and Khulis love to DIG in the sand (burrow).
&
That does look like a lot of gravel they'd have to dig through to get to the sand. Might want to thin it out/remove it in some areas so they can burrow more easily. Those kuhlis are looking great, btw! Very handsome ... um, fellows?
Oh. Well, I could clear up the front area, just behind the glass. Would that work? Plus there's a few 'gravel-less' spots in random places in the tank. And thanks H2Ogal. Yeah, I tried sexing them, but every site says its almost impossible to do just by sight.

Perhaps add a black background? I love the regular Kuhlis I only seem to see the black ones
I think a black background's a great idea. I'm thinking of painting a piece of cardboard and just sticking it behind the tank. Would there be shadows on it though? If yes, what should I do? Hmm, I've actually never seen the black strain in any of the LFS's I've been to.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
&

Oh. Well, I could clear up the front area, just behind the glass. Would that work? Plus there's a few 'gravel-less' spots in random places in the tank.
They must be behind the plants, because there isnt any "gravel-less" spots in the front area. LIKE this..

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Please visit my thread "finally, a girl just for me..." in the anabantoid section for how my moss rock looks today (in a 1g bowl). In my 10g the moss had begun to grow upwards. I like the grassy look, and probably won't trim it for awhile... Healthy moss should not break off easily, however the cut moss could dislodge if too much water movement hits it directly. Just leave it be in a corner for awhile before trying to move it.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I think your tanks looks very natural, you could remove some of the coarser gravel to allow more access to the sand... Have you witnessed any burrowing?

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
JasonG, I was gonna gather the gravel up front and put it in the back for the vals anyway, there wasn't enough substrate there. By the gravel-less areas, I mean little spots like this:

You're right, the areas are behind decor and plants mostly. I'll clear up the front. Would that make them come out more?

Nice tank btw, the kuhli looks happy :)

EDIT:
I just saw your posts fishycat. Nice betta :D The grassy thing is pretty cool. I'll try out the rock idea then :D And yeah, the loaches dig around in the substrate sometimes. Only once in a while though. I guess it's cause of the gravel.

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
My kulhis never dig more than their noses into fine pool sand, they didn't on slightly larger grade either...
Same here, they stick their heads in the sand just once in a while. But if having sand in the front would make them spend more time there, then I'll still clear up the front area :D

This thread makes me want Khulies!

Great setup BTW :thumbsup:
:D thanks. I think kuhli loaches would love your tank, lotsa hiding spots and sand. Perfect for them, unless you're fully stocked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store