1st REAL planted tank (10g) log! (Picture heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks! I love that crypt, it is by far my favorite plant ever! I have had it for 1.5 yrs in that exact spot, I put in root tabs very rarely maybe 4 times but only 1/2 a tab each time. I do not & have not (for the most part) fertilized or added carbon of any kind. I didn't get my first plantlet until this past month and then 4 more popped up all the sudden. In short, I really don't know how I got them. Best I can figure is don't move it for 1.4 yrs! :D

I just made a mod to my light. I think the water spots on the glass lid may have been affecting the light output so I put two little strips of plexi-glass along the side edges on the tank/rim and rested the light right on those. I say this because my Rotala sp. is no longer pink at the top & plant growth and algae have been a little abnormal. We will see what happens!

EDIT - I forget to mention that my floating (in the first picture on pg 10) freebie plant that came with my free RCS is most likely Crypt Parva, Yay! Now in 3 yrs it may be a noticeable addition to this tank. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The rescape looks great. Maybe that's what's bothering the shrimp? You took out a lot of plants & stirred things up. Watch the plexi, I was told it would bend from the light heat.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I would agree that the rescape has upset them, definitely, but they stopped breeding and started dying off well before the rescape too.

No worries about the plexi glass, I only have 1.5" strips all the way to the edges and I have a double socket incandescent fixture with twirly bulbs so the bulbs are not even close to the edges.

Thanks for your comments & feedback!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well I happened across an eye witness account of a planaria killing a shrimp so I researched it some more. (I have always been told they are harmless) I found several references that say planaria ARE dangerous to our shrimp. Not only are they meat eating parasites but they secrete a toxin that is deadly to shrimp! They usually secrete this toxin when they are disturbed and I imagine 200 shrimp stepping on them while fighting over food would disturb them.

I do have planaria in my shrimp tank (typical!), not huge numbers but enough that at feeding time I see them! I have noticed they are very pinkish colored lately opposed to their normal white appearance in this tank. I also recently had a snail with a hole in her foot that no one could explain. Maybe she rested on top of the planaria too long or it even ate her....

Whatever the case may be I set up a planaria trap tonight & will keep an eye on it.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Just letting everyone know this tank is done. If the plants are doing well the inverts are dying, if the inverts are doing well the plants are dying. :huh: Over the years no one has been able to figure out why my inverts do great & breed for awhile and then all die off. I cannot take the invert heartbreak & struggle anymore! :cry:

I am either going to just combine the plants & handful of shrimp in this tank with my 40g Breeder or there is a very slight chance I might setup a rimless 20 long for small fish and they can go in there. One way or another this tank has come to a end.

FishTank719

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
very nice set up!!!! is that the best substrate for plants???

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
sorry to hear.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks everyone.

Eco-complete is a very decent substrate for growing plants. I personally prefer sand substrates now though.

The only thing I don't think I have tried over the past 2 years is to change the actual tank or substrate so hopefully the upcoming change will bring better results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store