1st REAL planted tank (10g) log! (Picture heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks, wish I could fit some of those RAOKs in there! :)

texasguy

AC Members
May 13, 2009
Magical Thread Revival!!!
lol any updates? I'm really interested. I'm planning on doing something similair

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Nothing to talk about. :) I can't keep the inverts alive and I do not seem to have a "wet thumb" although I am persistent! I have not taken a single picture of this tank since December that is never a good sign. :D I have been letting it do what it wants as long as the few remaining shrimp & ember tetras are happy.

BUT just last night I was considering redoing this tank a little. I'll keep you posted!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Bethany1979 is giving away some free shrimp and snails JUST as I emptied all the livestock out of this tank AND found a temporary solution to my water issues (LONG story!). I also have all this left over wood and I just got a HUGE portion of moss from Turbosaurus so this seemed like a good time for a rescape! Here is a PREview.

I just stirred up the Eco-complete intentionally so it was extra cloudy!

Of course it is not even close to done but it is a start for the shrimp to go into tomorrow.

PLANS!
-Add more mossy wood after the rest of the wood finishs soaking
-Move tropica sword & crypt to better mid/background positions (I just didn't want to disturb them until I knew where they were going)
-Add a black background!!!!!!!!
-Think I will try dwarf sags again as the foreground
-Remove some of those MTS, WOW didn't realize how many there were :irked:
-Arrange and hide equipment (need to buy a new heater since my stealth went into stuck on mode!)

Not sure what I want to do with the left side but I know the filter will be over there and I'd like to hide it as much as possible. Trying to keep this low tech and low maintenance, which it always has been.

TO BE CONTINUED......

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank Chrisinator! It is far too messy right now but you can see where I am going. :)

2-3 Beth, I am planning on 2 but if I find 3 colors I like then there is room! :D Thanks!

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Just read through this whole thread and i gotta say, youve given me some ideas.

Generally a great setup you had. And the one you just posted is gonna look nice too.

Also, have you ever thought of getting higher wattage bulbs or even retrofit the fixture to hold more?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Just read through this whole thread and i gotta say, youve given me some ideas.

Generally a great setup you had. And the one you just posted is gonna look nice too.
Thank you! I am glad you got some info out of it!

Also, have you ever thought of getting higher wattage bulbs or even retrofit the fixture to hold more?
Nope! :) I have all the supplies I need to retro fit 110 watts over this if I wanted to but I want this tank to stay low light, low maintenance.

Is there something in particular you are looking to do? Cause I have thought about how to get a little extra light on other tanks.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Water cleared up a bit this morning.

New shrimp & apple snails acclimating!

I have been removing MTS as they come out, I am not looking to get rid of all of them just a little population control. Looking at this tank sitting next to my misc tank (bad looking fry holder, wood soaker, substrate tester etc.) I am really not happy with the substrate.

Misc tank

This tank has the same substrate & is also soaking wood (that's why the rock pile is missing on the left). :)

And here is some more wood just for good measure! These are all too big for either of my planted tanks.

So, one of two things will work here. Have a complete foreground cover (HA!) or divide the substrate so the ugly plant loving stuff is in the back and the pretty human loving stuff is in the front (no foreground cover).

I need to get a black background on this tank ASAP because right now I am not liking it at all! Still looking for suggestions on what to do with the left side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store