1st REAL planted tank (10g) log! (Picture heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Still not sure what I'm gonna do with the layout, just keep playing with it.

Excuse the floater. :D

The mesh rock is some fissidens fontanus I had left over, figured I'd see how it does in the low tech setup. I am thinking I want a nice big clump of narrow leaf java fern on the left to hide the filter & it will look nice in the filter current.

My anubias nana was so high in the tank before that I didn't notice how yellow it got! I will probably add just a little KN03 for some nitrates & potassium.

One week in the tank and we have breeding!

Nearly all the females are saddled too so I have my fingers crossed that this time my shrimp tank will be a success!!

xJaypex

AC Members
Jan 18, 2010
hey man great looking tank!

i just set up a 10g shrimp tank today as well :p

good luck on them shrimp!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks & good luck with your shrimp!

This morning I found another 2 berried females, woohoo! I added a pinch of KNO3 this morning too.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It's been a month and half, I think it's time for an update!

All female shrimp were berried within a week and successfully released their shrimplets!

This is my youngest least colored female

This is my solid red female (bad picture though)

Just another berried female

I got new guys! 10 C. Babaulti - Green & 2 Tiger Nerites (FINALLY!)

Bad nerite shot

Couple of the greens that are actual green (They are a fantastic range of colors & I just love them!)

Group photo!

And last but not least, since we ARE in the planted forum!
My Crypts have nearly tripled in size since the crash of this tank. New leaves start coming up before the last new leaf is fully uncurled. I have a new leaf a week & some old battered ones have died off.

My Anubias is flowering again!

And the moss has gone wild! I also added a couple little narrowleaf java ferns to back left corner yesterday. I just did a WC (of course!) so it is cloudy. I promise to try to time my photo shots better! :)

Above

I still plan to move the crypt but I just couldn't bare to do it when it is growing so well! I think the moss needs a trim too. It may not be scaped properly but I get A LOT of enjoyment out of this tank!!

RAustria

EOS
Feb 21, 2010
NJ/NYC
I read this thread from the beginning and each picture of the tank looks great... the shrimp look awesome too. What kind of wood is that on the right? and is that java moss? Btw, how is the tank doing?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks! I was thinking of doing an update for this tank yesterday actually. :) I re"scaped" it yet again! I have not been happy with my hardscape for awhile so it is just blah right now until some creative juices get flowing.

The moss was part of a mixed moss package that I tried to sort out the best I could but I am pretty sure it contains mostly Taiwan moss with some java moss. This moss grew A LOT and I trimmed it way down and it never bounced back, most likely it was dying underneath before the trim & I trimmed all the good stuff off. :uhoh:

The wood is manzanita & I love it but I just can't seem to get it to look how I want.

I will take some pictures soon and update.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
This is a great thread. Love the various looks, and your plants are great ... even the not-so-very-aquascaped moss.

Looking forward to the next update.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks H2Ogal!

Here is the official update!
~Added a black background finally!
~The tank has been rearranged & the leftover moss is sitting in a bucket until I know what I want to do.
~I couldn't bare to move the crypt because it is doing very well, has 5 plantlets now, so I just turned the tank around. :D
~I split my anubias because the older portion was yellowing. Since splitting it the old part is straight out dying so hopefully this means now the newer part can use that wasted energy for it own growing & beat some of the GSA.
~I added some stems from my 33 to see how they'd do. I do not know what they are though.
~The shrimp.....eh. The adults stopped breeding after a couple rounds and now the juvis are dying off slowly. Nothing seems wrong with the water. 0-0-10 There was more than 200 1/2" & up shrimp in there a couple weeks ago, maybe they just got territorial....??? I even saw a shrimplet fighting off others while carrying around a dead shrimplet just while taking these photos. I do have a couple juvi shrimp that are much brighter then the others though, thought about separating them.

A couple crypt planlets

My Nerite survivor that I LOVE, just wish he'd eat the GSA on the anubias!!

Shimp eating 5 days ago

FTS

Angle

What I normally view

Things I might do in the future!

1. Upgrade to a 20 long or switch to a metaframe 10g
2. Replace that rubber band with a black zip tie!!!
3. Rearrange again with some sort of hardscape
4. Continue to change my mind!

Just FYI

Plants
Bronze Cyrpt
Anubias nana
Anubias petite
Rotala sp. (maybe indica)
Tropica sword
Dwarf Sag
Fissidens fontanus (Phoenix Moss)
NEW! Mystery Plant, Ludwigia or Rotala sp reddish in good conditions
Pending - Taiwan/Java moss

Fauna
Many - RCS
3?- Caridina babaulti "green" I had 5 five days ago...
1 - Zebra Nerite
1 - Magenta striped Brig (In hospital tank due to a hole in her foot)
And of course numerous MTS!

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Wow that crypt looks great. just realized thats the same crypt i have. but how did you get those plantlets? ive had mine since the beginning of this year and its surely gooten some tall leaves but no plantlets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store